Please help identify this tube

ask your general tube related questions here

Please help identify this tube

Postby egmac5 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:17 pm

A friend found this gem in their garage. The only marking is on the inner support marked "Y-85-Hi". There are 4 contacts on the bottom (two for filament, two NC). Plate contact on top and cathode (I believe). Would like the specs on this if possible.
Attachments
Tube 01.jpg
Tube 01.jpg (573.75 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Tube 02.jpg
Tube 02.jpg (668.05 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
egmac5

Re: Please help identify this tube

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm

I stared at http://www.tubecollector.org/index.shtml for a long while, but didn't see anything that matched. It seems to me it should be some flavor of direct heated triode, with the filament connections on the bottom, plate out the top and grid on the side.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm

The "Y" labelled tube numbers were often assigned to prototype tubes, or those in early stages of development.

What is the overall height of the tube, and max diameter of the spherical section? That may help to ID this mystery...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby egmac5 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I initially tested the filament and thought there was continuity, however, that was caused by a loose ring on the stem assembly shorting the filament conductors. Real bummer :( This tube was more likely a triod transmitter for Ham radio in the 50's Britton

Marconi-Osram British system

The Marconi-Osram designation uses a single letter followed by two numerals and sometimes by a second letter identifying different versions of a particular type. This British system dates from the 1920s.
The letters generally denote the type, (diode, triode, pentode, etc.), or use, (frequency-changer, I.F. amplifier, detector, etc.), of the device and the numbers are issued sequentially for each new device.
Examples
L63 = Triode similar to one half of a 6SN7
U14 = 5AS4
Y61 = 6U5G
X61 = 6J8G[/color]
Z77 = 6AM6 = EF91

We will most likely drill a hole in the ceramic bottom and place a LED to light it up as a display piece.

Thank you for your investigation,

Ethan
egmac5

Postby 20to20 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:52 am

QSL.JPG
QSL.JPG (327.84 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

It's tough to tell, scale-wise, if this is the same tube. But it may lead to something. 100TH

Edit: After closer looks it's obvious that this one is less substantial in many places.

HTH
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 am

With the fins.... I'm thinking 250TH maybe?
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:49 pm

I'd say that's a very good guess.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_250th.html
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to tube 101