"loudness" circuit

ask your general tube related questions here

"loudness" circuit

Postby nyazzip » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:57 pm

too often i am forced to listen to my music/radio at extremely low levels, to avoid disturbing others late at night....but, i get almost no bass whatsoever at these levels, usually. just wondering how a "loudness" function works, lots of SS equipment used to have it a decade ago and farther.....
as you cannot really increase bass if the caps are already full range, i am guessing the focus on reducing upper midrange.
i'd like to give something like that a shot with my rh-84, for starters
nyazzip
KT88

Postby kheper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:36 pm

The good, newer ones have an algorithm which boosts bass frequencies and slightly boosts treble frequencies at low volume, but progressively cuts the boosts as the volume is raised.

The old, cheap loudness circuits from the 60s and 70s boosted bass frequencies only, and did not progressively cut them when the volume was raised. The result was sonic muddiness or blown speakers when the volume was cranked up.

Late at night, connect your amp to a computer soundcard, and use mplayer (or that panel in windows with sliders) to boost the bass and treble frequencies.

I tried an equalizer to boost frequencies:

mplayer -> sound card -> equalizer -> amp

But, never do this, as it is something like a noise making, frequency amplifier with an impedance mismatch. (666)

http://www.extron.com/company/article.a ... control_ts
Last edited by kheper on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kheper
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 pm

The old, cheap loudness circuits from the 60s and 70s boosted bass frequencies only, and did not progressively cut them when the volume was raised. The result was sonic muddiness or blown speakers when the volume was cranked up.

...i'd be willing to try the old, cheap version! i wonder if the loudness functions also used compression....
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Sandwiched in this GSG thread I have some tips:
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... t=loudness

You can still get the Radio Shack pot with the loudness tap and ALP knockoffs on eBay have them. I think it's worth checking out.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby kheper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:58 pm

kheper
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:21 am

cool, i think i might try it. could this be done as an external box outside the amp? like a guitar "pedal"? built in to a "passive pre" box? i don't see why not.
i know it will take some fiddling though, because i am very particular about "boomy", and thats what a lot of loudness switches seemed to do. i have better speakers nowadays though, so maybe it won't be as big a problem
nyazzip
KT88

Postby kheper » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:48 am

Why not just buy a pre-amp with a good loudness circuit? You can find used, Adcom pre-amps and pre-amp tuners for about ~$100 on ebay.
kheper
KT88

Return to tube 101