Good Interconnect Article

ask your general tube related questions here

Good Interconnect Article

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:10 pm

http://www.rane.com/pdf/note110.pdf

Handy reference re: grounding loops & hum via interconnects. I looked it up as I needed some guide about connecting unbalanced to balanced devices.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Good article

Postby evsentry3 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:35 pm

Hi Shannon,
They lay out the options pretty well in that article! I ran across that one in the past and liked the last part enough to print it out and leave available at the bench for a newer tech that was struggling with interconnecting balanced and unbalanced.
What Rane could add is that when your going from an unbalanced output into a balanced input, you are still able to enjoy the benefit of the common mode noise rejection. Very nice. The only thing the unbalanced to balanced doesn't get is the benefit of the extra voltage to stay higher above the noise.
I also have always thought looking at the labeling of drawings like those that a disservice is done using the label Ground. I kind of believe it should be referred to as a drain. I suppose that draining would really refer to fully balanced wiring, because you don't Ground with a little tiny wire, you leave it open at one end and use it to Drain noise to one end or the other.
It might be ugly on a unbalanced home stereo, but we might be better off if we kept the audio ground total seperate from chassis ground and then looped a good heavy strap externally between the chassis of everything and ground to AC ground. That thought won't win any design awards for beauty!
Oh, and even though the Rane gear is made to a price point, I've had a lot of good luck with it!
Happy Holidays!
Mark
evsentry3

Return to tube 101