cigar humidor as tube amp case

ask your general tube related questions here

cigar humidor as tube amp case

Postby Jochen » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:31 pm

Hi,

in search for a nice looking case for my ST-35 that i will hopefully build during christmas holidays, i had the idea :idea: of using a cigar humidor as a case.
Has anybody done this and can share experiences? :roll:

Bye,

Jochen
Jochen

Re: cigar humidor as tube amp case

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:00 am

Jochen wrote:Hi,

in search for a nice looking case for my ST-35 that i will hopefully build during christmas holidays, i had the idea :idea: of using a cigar humidor as a case.
Has anybody done this and can share experiences? :roll:

Bye,

Jochen

Hi Jochen,

I have a small cedar box I made 20 years ago that I found rummaging through some stored goods of my parents. It is a hair bigger lengthwise and width, with twice the height of a cigar box. I plan to fit a whole amp inside using Fender outputs. As far as a cigar humidor, what are the dimensions you are looking at? Would you place the transformers on top? Sounds smoking! :smoker:

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Jochen » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:25 am

Hi,

the outer dimensions are 300 x 250 x 100 mm (11.8 x 9.8 x 3.9 ") and the inner dimensions are 270 x 220 x 80 mm (10.6 x 8.6 x 3.1 ").

I haven't bought this yet, you can look at it here (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7112680225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

Yes, i planned to put the transformers (Hammond 1650F, 370HX) on top.
It will fit mechanically, but i don't know if the transformers are placed too close to the tubes so i get hum etc. problems.
Is there a guideline how far the transformers have to be placed from the tubes except the rule "the more far the better"?

Another questions is how warm it gets on the surface of the box, because i don't like bourning boxes :onfire:

Jochen
Jochen

Registered

Postby JochenH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:34 am

Hi,

hey, now i'm member of this board. Feels like member of parliament :king:

Here is an image of the planned layout:

Jochen
JochenH

Postby mesherm » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:59 am

I installed my Rev D board in a lexan box of about the same dimensions with the output tubes within an inch or so from the output transformers and I did not notice any problems. I had metal shields salvaged from an old tube amp ready to place between the tubes/trannies if there had been a problem.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Return to tube 101