Soldering Mistake, Now I need Help

ask your general tube related questions here

Postby DortoH » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:42 pm

You need a solder sucker like this.

http://www.hobbytron.net/product710.html

Available at any electronics shop and Rat Schack.
DortoH

Postby erichayes » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:27 pm

Hi all,

I know the exact socket you're talking about, Brent; I bought 50 of them for prototyping and 4 of them had capillaried before I realized what was going on.

I solved the problem by inserting a dead 12AU7 I retrieved out of the trash into the socket before soldering. The pins are just enough of a heat sink to prevent the solder from flowing into the socket.

<edit>

The cheap ceramic sockets are not as prone to wicking as the really cheap plastic sockets with shields--they are horrible. The plastic melts before the wick or sucker gets hot enough to remove the solder. My kingdom for a decent 9 pin tube socket.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Re: Soldering Mistake, Now I need Help

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:06 am

WBGoodwin wrote:My Question is: How do I get the solder out of the socket without having to undo all my work. Any help is appreciated.

Brent,

Here is the method I use for desoldering old sockets - it may work for you. Put on your safety glasses and your work pants. Heat up the offending area with an iron at least 750 degrees F. Then quickly 'flick' the subassembly on your thigh, letting the G's wick it out.

I've got solder out of some tight spots this way. Not OSHA approved, though. ;) YMMV.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby mesherm » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:12 pm

I have solved similar problems by using a scrap piece of the premium teflon insulated silver-coated multi-strand hookup wire in like a 28 ga or so and stripping about 3/4 inch of the insulation off.
Twist the end tight and dip it in some good flux then press the wire against the top of the tube pin and heat the wire only. When the solder starts to melt press the wire down into the socket gently until the solder wicks up into the wire. The end you hold will get hot too so use needle-nose or gloves to hold it. Pick a wire gauge that will slip into the socket without a lot of force. Have a couple extra stripped wires made up ahead of time in case it takes more than one. Good Luck
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Return to tube 101