Very strange 6BM8 output.

ask your general tube related questions here

Very strange 6BM8 output.

Postby ioginy » Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Hey all. I picked up an old german hifi unit a while ago because it was using 6bm8's and I had a hankrin' to build an old gibson GA-8 style amp. The 6bm8 really struck me as a gem of an idea for a tube so I ran with it.

However, after I stripped the radio and preamp out of the unit, I started looking at the output and power supply and started scratching my head. For one thing it has external speaker jacks on both speakers, which have little transformers and a switch. I sketched out what is all was and it didn't seem an clearer. For one thing the jacks themselves seem to be switching jacks but I couldn't find any wiring setups for old 2 pin DIN sockets. So i just drew it the way it seemed right.

Anyway, If this output seems usable, i"ll just build a preamp into it, but it seems wierd.

You can't see it very well, but on the tabs on the back of the jacks there is a "-" symbol on top of the one to the right, and a "2" below it. There is an "8" below the center one and a "4" below the far left. I thought it was for ohms but all four speakers are 4ohms and seem to be wired in series.

I was also wondering what the point of the 1n couple capacitors on the output transformer primaries.
ioginy
KT88

Return to tube 101