6C45Pi in a phono stage?

ask your general tube related questions here

6C45Pi in a phono stage?

Postby pro_crip » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:27 pm

I'm doing some preliminary research into making a phono stage (got my eyes on a bix from bottlehead) and came across this tube, 6C45Pi made by sovtek (or svetlana). Here's the data sheet:
www.tkhifi.com/datablade/6C45P.pdf Can this tube be used in a phono stage, has anyone used it before and can anyone recommend a topology for it? TIA

Rich
Why don't you go upstairs and play with the beaver?
Ward Cleaver
pro_crip

Re: 6C45Pi in a phono stage?

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:07 pm

pro_crip wrote:Can this tube be used in a phono stage, has anyone used it before and can anyone recommend a topology for it? TIA

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm hoping to build a phono stage sometime, too. You need around 30dB per triode half, and I don't know I would recommend that Russian tube for this application. I don't like its max plate voltage either (150V). I would recommend the RCA topology. You could use one 12AX7 tube per channel. You could use the passive filter in the RCA stage, or try using the PAS method. I'm just in the research stage myself. Do you already have a Foreplay?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

similar NOS tubes

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:11 am

BTW, I was just looking at some similar tubes last week:
- 6BQ7
- 6BS8
- 6BZ7

These have similar Gm, mu and voltage limitations. They were used in receivers, I believe. AES has these for around a buck fifty each or less for NOS.

Shannon
Last edited by Shannon Parks on Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby pro_crip » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:48 pm

I liked the linearity of the tube, that's why I thought it would be good. Yep, I have a foreplay already, see my review in the review forum. I'll keep scouring the 'net for info until I break down and buy Allan Wright's book. Thanks
Ward Cleaver
pro_crip

Postby EWBrown » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:20 am

Other interesting dual triodes:

2C51 (5670) , 6BK7, 6N2P, 6N3P (the latter two aRussian tubes ren't real easy to obtain).

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby pro_crip » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:18 pm

I did a search of the audio asylum archives (the diy/tube asylum) for a phono stage. Morgan Jones' ec8010 phono stage was well received. Remembering I had a copy of the 3rd edition, I looked it up. It has 3 stages, mu-followers. It uses an ec8010 in the first stage, 2x6J5GT in the second and in the 3rd a 6J5GT and a 12B4A. I'm assuming those are european tube numbers so I gotta dig up the american counterparts. MJ's book also has the power supply for it in an earlier chapter. It looks like I found a winner. Now to learn how build from a schematic and MJ has a book for that too, 20 bucks at amazon. Thanks all.

Rich
Ward Cleaver
pro_crip

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:49 pm

pro_crip wrote:MJ's book also has the power supply for it in an earlier chapter. It looks like I found a winner. Now to learn how build from a schematic and MJ has a book for that too, 20 bucks at amazon. Thanks all.

Rich

Morgan Jones' New Book

Looks like a good one!

BTW, these guys are asking mega prices for Rozenblit's book, all the while AudioXpress is selling it for $25. HA!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby pro_crip » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:28 am

115 bucks, plus shipping? That my non-yiddish friends is the very definition of chutzpah. Audio express is where I got my rozenblit, and now that I think on it, where I'll buy MJ's new book.
Ward Cleaver
pro_crip

Return to tube 101