What causes the brown residue/stain on some tubes?

ask your general tube related questions here

What causes the brown residue/stain on some tubes?

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:45 pm

The Mullard EL84s are notorious for this discoloring. Just recently noticed some 6P14Ps with it, too. My guess is some contamination internally. Possibly even some type of releaser from manufacture. Anyone know the real scoop?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Brown residue? Shout it out!

Postby dhuebert » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:56 pm

I have some 6BQ5s like this, Gar Gillies took one look at them and told me the tubes were shot. I didn't ask why, but I still could...

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Getter Flash?

Postby EWBrown » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:07 pm

Is this some form of "getter flash" perhaps? Usually this will look silvery or black. The "getter" is used to burn off any remaining atmosphere inside the tube after it is vacuumed out and the glass is sealed. It usually has some metallic oxide of (barium or cesium ?) that gets "fired" by applying a strong contained RF field, the getter "goes off," burns off teh remaining air, and leaves the silver or colored residue inside the glass bulb.

I know some old 6V6s and similat BP tubes also had a grey "smoke" substance covering teh inside of the tube, that was a part of manufacture.

I dunno if this will get thru, my ISP is undergoing yet again another series of electro-spasms...

/ed brown
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

nope...

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:49 pm

It's not the 'gray smoke' or getter flash. It looks like a burned up tube - but some have seen this on NOS Mullard tubes (not Ebay 'may be NOS' har har). I'll have to post a pic up here - the Mullards look like hell. I have no reason to suspect that the 6P14P tubes aren't NOS, too.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby erichayes » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:55 am

Hi All,

Bud Wyatt (Sheffield Labs, The Mastering Lab) came over this afternoon to get some parts and trade war stories, and I pulled out one of my perfectly functional, rotten looking Mullard EL84s and said "Wazzat?"

He said that Mullard used a getter that was not a pure metal, such as lithium, sodium or magnesium; rather, they chose to use a halide compound that, after time, caused the "bleeding" that we have come to know and love.

My experience with Mullard EL84s is that you can kick the snot out of them, and they just keep working. They have a somewhat higher internal resistance than NOS American and new production Sovteks (in my amps the damping factor is 4.5 vs 5.5 for NOS and Sovtek), which probably accounts for their "warm" (some call it "yellow") sound.

Bottom line: Don't judge a Mullard EL84 by its looks. It's a great tube.

Eric in McKinleyville
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Thanks Eric!

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:39 am

Thanks for the great answer! I Googled all over the place yesterday looking for the scoop (AA forums and Usenet archive, too) but got nowhere. Thanks, again.

(pic forthcoming)

Hehe, Don - I bet Gar has a whole drawer of these gems that were just given to him. O:)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

ebay example

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:10 am

Good example, folks.

Ebay link to some cruddy looking Mullards

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to tube 101