scored some tubes

ask your general tube related questions here

scored some tubes

Postby parabellum » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:09 pm

pretty sure I wasted my money, but a box full of NOS tubes was hard to resist. There is about 150 of them. All start with the number 3. 3xx# or 3x#

35 bucks for all of them

parabellum

Postby Tom Bavis » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:49 am

3V4, 3S4, 3Q4, 3A5 are battery tubes - you could build a simple radio with them, but not much use for audio. 3V4 might sell for a few bucks, as it's used in the popular Zenith Transoceanic.

3AU6, 3AV6, a few others could be used on 6.3VAC by wiring heaters in series.
Tom Bavis

Postby parabellum » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:05 am

I think I'll just try to sell them ... all at once, i dont have to be messing with random theoretical projects. 'm dragging out real projects too much as is.

Gonna give them up cheap like I got them
parabellum

Postby dcriner » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:18 pm

RadioDaze has NOS 3V4s listed for $7.25. You ought to log on to that site or another to see what the total value is.

Buying a caddy of miscellaneous tubes might be profitable, provided it's coming directly from an estate, etc. Otherwise, it's likely that somebody has previously culled out the most valuable tubes, and then sold the remnants.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby parabellum » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:49 pm

dcriner wrote:RadioDaze has NOS 3V4s listed for $7.25. You ought to log on to that site or another to see what the total value is.

Buying a caddy of miscellaneous tubes might be profitable, provided it's coming directly from an estate, etc. Otherwise, it's likely that somebody has previously culled out the most valuable tubes, and then sold the remnants.

Yeah I looked over them and they are worth a few hundred dollars if somebody went through the trouble to sell them one by one.

This box came from some guys fathers garage. He was selling them and suggesting that people use them for "art projects" :D

If anybody here wants them, let me know before I put them up on ebay.
parabellum

Postby parabellum » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:13 pm

parabellum wrote:
dcriner wrote:RadioDaze has NOS 3V4s listed for $7.25. You ought to log on to that site or another to see what the total value is.

Yeah I looked over them and they are worth a few hundred dollars if somebody went through the trouble to sell them one by one.

This box came from some guys fathers garage. He was selling them and suggesting that people use them for "art projects" :D

If anybody here wants them, let me know before I put them up on ebay. I wouldn't mind a trade either
parabellum

Postby EWBrown » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:25 am

That's a better haul of tubes than my weekend "score"...

Just what can I do with about two dozen very well-used "Tungar Bulb" rectifiers. :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

These have a standard light bulb screw base, and a thin anode pin on top, and the evacuation "teat" on the shoulder of the bulb. Very weird looking, in a some kind of Doctor Frankenstein's Laboratory sort of way... Filaments are low voltage, high current.

I'll post a pic someday...

/ed B in NH
Last edited by EWBrown on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby parabellum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:52 am

Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 Never saw a tube like that.

I passed on a boxfull of used TV tubes for 20 bucks. Can't be collecting all the garbage in the area Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21
parabellum

Postby erichayes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:07 pm

Hi All,

Tungar rectifiers were used in battery chargers before selenium rectifiers were invented. My neighbor had one of these chargers when I was a kid, and it was a trip. The bulb lit up like a regular light bulb until it started pulling current. Then, a bright blue hairball would appear between the filament and the disc-shaped anode. The amount of current was selected with a front panel switch connected to a multi-tapped transformer secondary.

Very Frankensteinian, indeed, as the hairball also created a nasty 60~ rasp that was conducted to the bulb envelope by the anode lead--sounded very much like a Jacob's Ladder and wiped out AM reception within a half block area.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby parabellum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:11 pm

erichayes wrote:Hi All,

Tungar rectifiers were used in battery chargers before selenium rectifiers were invented. My neighbor had one of these chargers when I was a kid, and it was a trip. The bulb lit up like a regular light bulb until it started pulling current. Then, a bright blue hairball would appear between the filament and the disc-shaped anode. The amount of current was selected with a front panel switch connected to a multi-tapped transformer secondary.

Very Frankensteinian, indeed, as the hairball also created a nasty 60~ rasp that was conducted to the bulb envelope by the anode lead--sounded very much like a Jacob's Ladder and wiped out AM reception within a half block area.

That sounds like a helluva lot of trouble to charge some batteries Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12
parabellum

Postby EWBrown » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 pm

I suppose back, in those days, that's all they had for rectification...

These may be good for "plasma globe" projects...

Tungar = Tungsten + Argon (gas) hence the blue hairball...

They look similar to this, except these have a "teat" growing out of the side, about 45 degrees down from the "north pole"

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby parabellum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:11 pm

i like the reflection in that pic
parabellum

Postby mesherm » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:11 pm

mesherm
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:46 am

I did a quick filament resistance check on a few of these, most read as "open". Before I toss 'em in the proverbial SC, or make redneck christmas tree ornaments out of them, I'll check to see if corrosion ins the culprit - which is a good possibility on these nearly 80 year old tubes...

On the "top pin" tungar that I have, that little glass "cup" is filled with white plaster-like substance. The markings on the base, some read "Rectigon", and some have the traditional GE label. The round-top ones (with the anode ring around the neck) have the "GE" marking on top of the bulb.

So much for my visions of crates full of (sugarplums) NIB WE 205Ds.... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

/ed B in NH
Last edited by EWBrown on Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:33 am

I've heard tell that 3Q4s, wired up in "triode" mode, make for a very nice linestage tube. Of course, a very well filtered DC filament supply is a must... Never tried this, just read about it on NNETG a couple years ago.

/ed b in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Next

Return to tube 101