Phono preamp schematics help!

ask your general tube related questions here

Phono preamp schematics help!

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:03 pm

Hi guys,
I want to build a tube phono preamp for my dual 1229. I do have a PAT-5, but I am not entirely happy with it. I will be using it w/ Darling amp and ST-35. I want something that's simple, clean, and cost-effect to build. Could anybody please recommend and schematics? Thanks tons! -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:24 am

Hi Min -

I've never built a phono preamp, but since I like to build with Octals ... here is a link to one with a 12SL7 and 12SN7 per channel designed by Bob Danielak, the designer of the Darling ... I would probably build it, if I didn't already have a pile of high quality SS preamps.

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/1965/phono.html
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:02 pm

Thank, Tom. I came across Bob's when I did a google search yesterday. It looks clean with fewer parts to deal with. So, what's the power supply for this?
I also looked into Fred Nachbaur's at http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/sapindex.htm
I like the way he explains things so systemically, so the stuff you build isn't a blackbox for novices like me. He's got part list and construction tips for his design. It looks pretty cheap to build, in spite of piles of resistors and capacitors required. I assume building a phono preamp would be cheaper than building a regular amp due to lack of output irons. -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:50 pm

It looks like Bob's power supply was pretty complex, tube regulated, etc. too much work !

Yeah - Fred's looks good - simple and no exotic parts - definitely worth a try. You're right - a preamp is just a power supply, some tubes and resistors and capacitors. Just keep in mind it has to be very carefully constructed to keep the hum and noise level down, since it's very high gain. Build it in a structured fashion ... I like to do the filament leads first, if they are AC, tightly twisted pair, routed down against the chassis and away from inputs. If you're using DC filaments, it's not as crirical. Then the cathode wiring, maybe using a nice bus wire for ground, then the plates and do inputs last, so you can route things away from hum sources easily.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Return to tube 101