Shielded Cable...And assembly Q

ask your general tube related questions here

Shielded Cable...And assembly Q

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:06 pm

All,
I purchased some shielded cable from angela to use as my input cable (going from the RCA's to the board). Should I run two individual lines for +/-, or should I just coax it and solder leads off of the shielding for the - connections ?
Secondly - I will be using a bare metal top plate, so should I insulate the contact point between the transformer and the plate, or just leave it be ?

Thanks !
Steve
SteveH
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:12 pm

I sometimes use red for one channel and black for the other, and the shield for the shield, or tie black and shield together for one channel. Frankly, under the chassis for short runs, shielded wire isn't always necessary. Grounding the transformers to the chassis is a good thing.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby SteveH » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 am

Got it. Thanks Tom !

I got 90% of the plate cut last night; just have to drill some bolt holes, etc. From that point, then I will work on the standoffs, mounting the relay, choke, etc...Then the wiring begins !
SteveH
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi Steve ...

I noticed that you assembled the ST-35 board before you cut the top panel, I just wanted to point out that they have a built in template, you can bolt the board flat to the panel, then every tube socket has a nice centered hole (as do the bias pot spots) that you can use to mark the panel to make your tube holes. I know it's too late for you, but it may help someone else who is building an amp. In fact, all of the DIYTube boards have this handy feature. Very clever !

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby SteveH » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 pm

Tom - Excellent idea; unfortunately I had to do mine the hard way. Worked out OK though.

Once complete, you won't actually see any of the steel plate (there is a brass sheet to go atop it) in the front, and the back is covered by the transformer cover. So I cut the holes a little over sized to allow some air circulation around the base of the tubes.

-Steve
SteveH
KT88

Return to tube 101