Wire(-ing)

ask your general tube related questions here

Wire(-ing)

Postby SteveH » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 am

All,
As I was able to finish stuffing my board last night, I am now ready to move onto the wiring phase. This brought some wire-related questions in my mind:
#1 - Solid Core vs. Stranded - Obviously, all of the usual wiring in this kit is 'made' (crimp connectors) for stranded wire. Things like transformer hookups, input/output, etc. However, PTP kits prefer solid core, as it is cleaner/easier to do PTP with. The question is: In both instances, certain things remain the same (Input/Output/Transformer hookups). So where would you be better off using on over the other ?
#1A - When using solid core, when would you twist the wires together ? When using stranded ?
#2 - In my instance, I will be mounting my coupling caps off of the board. Which type of wire would I be best to use ? Solid core could be pretty; but would it allow noise into my circuit ?

Thanks !
Steve
SteveH
KT88

Postby mesherm » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:18 pm

I like to use cloth covered solid conductor wire for most of my PTP. My next favorite is solid/stranded with Teflon insulation. Both present some stripping challenges. With the solid it is easy to nick the conductor such that when you try to bend it around a terminal, it breaks off. Teflon is also a bit tricky to strip without nicking and breaking the wires. I have one stripping tool that seems to work good on both most of the time but I still keep a slightly dull single edge razor blade handy. As to the noise issue I don't think it makes any difference if the wire is stranded or solid at audio frequencies.
mesherm
KT88

Return to tube 101