6SN7 vs 6SN7GTB

ask your general tube related questions here

6SN7 vs 6SN7GTB

Postby MarkC » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:06 am

Are these two tubes basically drop in replacements for each other?
I know the GTB has a slow warmup characteristic but if I had a
schematic which called for the GTB tube, could a regular 6SN7 be used without mods to the circuit? Thanks in advance for the info. Mark
MarkC

Postby erichayes » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Hi All,

For the most part, Mark, the 6SN7 will work in audio applications where the plate voltage is less than 300 VDC. The GTA and GTB versions were developed when it was found that the 6SN7 made a great vertical oscillator in the early TV days, but needed to be beefed up to handle the increased stress put on the tube. A lot of 6SN7 afficionados think the old WWII vintage Sylvania and Tung Sol versions are the paradigm. I personally think the Electro Harmonix 6SN7EH gives them a pretty good run for their money. Sovtek and Sino 6SN7s make wonderful omnidirectional microphones.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby MarkC » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:28 pm

erichayes wrote:Hi All,

For the most part, Mark, the 6SN7 will work in audio applications where the plate voltage is less than 300 VDC. The GTA and GTB versions were developed when it was found that the 6SN7 made a great vertical oscillator in the early TV days, but needed to be beefed up to handle the increased stress put on the tube. A lot of 6SN7 afficionados think the old WWII vintage Sylvania and Tung Sol versions are the paradigm. I personally think the Electro Harmonix 6SN7EH gives them a pretty good run for their money. Sovtek and Sino 6SN7s make wonderful omnidirectional microphones.

Thanks Eric...The EH 6SN7 is what I have...
after researching several different designs,
I've decided to go with one that called for a 6SN7GTB so, I should be good...Thanks for the info...Mark
MarkC

Postby dhuebert » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:56 am

Sovtek and Sino 6SN7s make wonderful omnidirectional microphones.

I just bought a couple of Sovtek 6SL7 to use as phase invertors in my guitar amps (don't ask why). Have you found these to be very microphonic as well? The one bass amp I built this way seems OK so far.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby erichayes » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi All,

Don, I bought a couple of Sovtek 6SL7s about seven years ago and they weren't any more microphonic than the NOS RCA and Sylvania samples I had. The only thing remarkable about them was that they were rather dark sounding. I have a hunch that they were the Russian "equivalent" of the 6SL7, as they bore little physical resemblance to US manufactured 6SL7s.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Return to tube 101