Newbie Transformer Question

ask your general tube related questions here

Newbie Transformer Question

Postby Blair » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:21 pm

I am looking at different transformers to build a clone of sorts with. Specs are not that important to my question, but here we go. Scenario: I recently built a line stage that had a 600 vct at 150 ma transformer. Assuming I found a 600 vct at 220 ma transformer; would this work as well. I have been told on a SS amplifier, the amplifier will only pull as much current as desired. Is this the case with tube gear? Thank you for any information regarding this.

I am also in the process of brainstorming for a power amplifier design that will be reasonably priced. Does anyone know of a design that delivers 20-30 WPC that can be easily sourced, and won't break the bank? I would really like to make a pair of monoblocks if possible.

Thank you for any information.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:31 pm

The circuit will only draw the current it needs from the power supply, so a higher rated transformer is fine. Liken it to power in your house, you can plug a 25 watt light bulb or a 1200 watt toaster into the same outlet, they only use the amount of current they need.

A quick and easy build is a push pull amplifier with whatever tubes and transformers you like, with one of the DIYTube ST-70 driver boards, if you want to do mono blocks, the Poseidon driver boards are sweet also.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby sorenj07 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Another option is to spend some time learning about tube circuits and how to design your own. Half the fun (for me) is knowing that something that I came up with actually sounds halfway decent Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07

As for tubes, I'd recommend a 6DJ8 LTP driving a pair of 6L6's. 6DJ8's are some of the most linear tubes I've heard of. You could probably use an OPT with a relatively higher impedance, like 7600 ohms (as opposed to 5-6K for 6L6's). I think you could still get 20 watts out of a PP pair of 6L6's, and I think (correct me if i'm wrong) that the higher impedance would make the tubes have a lot less distortion.

One 600VCT 220mA transformer per side would be excellent. You wouldn't use all of it but the increased current capability means that you have a lot more headroom. 300V with a small capacitor input should net you around 360-380V, which would be fine for a pair of 6L6's.
sorenj07
KT88

Return to tube 101