Triode Electronics / Mark III Iron

ask your general tube related questions here

Triode Electronics / Mark III Iron

Postby skidave » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:02 pm

Hi Everyone,

I usually just read posts here and there and admire everyone's projects...but I do have a few quick questions. 1) Did Triode Electronics raise their prices on Dynaclone transformers? I have been thinking of building the Mark III replicas and I looked at the price page and I swear they went up in price??? 2) Has anyone purchased the repro Dynakits from dynakits.com? 3) Any recomendations on alternate sources for Mark III iron (preferably not bidding on stuff)?

Thanks everyone!

Dave
skidave

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:25 pm

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthre ... adid=70194

FWIW, it looks like Mike LaFevre at Magnequest no longer makes the Dynakit transformers (eg MQ565, MQ470, MQ431). Anyone know of a dealer with stock?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Blackburn Audio » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:01 pm

The Prices haven't been raised recently, some of them have gone up about ten bucks but that was at least a year or two ago. The only reason the prices were raised was because the materials to make them went up so our cost was raised. They are still a bargain for the quality you are getting.

-Matt at Triodeelectronics.com
Blackburn Audio

100% pure Unobtanium

Postby EWBrown » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:28 am

The Magnequest Dynaco iron is no longer in production, and finding any dealers is unlikely, as they usually order on demand, and custom building can take several weeks or months... Mike is pretty much sticking with SE iron, plate and grid chokes, and some power trannies. He is also in process of relocating his facility.

I got two MQ565s a few years ago as part of a "package deal" which included three complete ST35 carcii, and some other items. TThese now reside on an ST35 rebuilt into one of the new Soundtastick chassis, and man, do they sound good... Right now, I'm running it with a Tele 12AX7, RCA cleartop 12AU7 and four EI gold pin EL84s, I may swap in an NOS quad of original Dynaco 6BQ5s, and a Tele 12AU7, that I've been saving for a special occasion.

You might be able to find MQ dyna iron for sale on e-bay or any of the audio sites, but it's not going to be cheap... :o

FWIW, I think that he may still have the "Peerless" iron, at least it's not been taken off his or Doc B's website. Costs a pirate's ransom...

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to tube 101