The cat is finally interested in tubes ...

ask your general tube related questions here

The cat is finally interested in tubes ...

Postby TomMcNally » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Well, not amplifier tubes ... but the mailman just brought my latest toy from Germany ... a Dekatron "spinner" which is an early neon counting tube.
I plugged it in and look who is interested !

Time to move it up higher before he gets zappppped !
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Spinner Pics

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:08 am

Nice pics, Tom. Where'd you get that spinner kit? Looks like a good stocking stuffer for the cats. ;)

Just a week ago, my wife took one of our cats to the vet for a checkup. They discovered a chunk of the cat's tongue was missing and the vet asked if he'd been chewing on power cords since he'd seen similar wounds from electrical burns. The wife immediately phoned me, quizzing me. Maybe I should put the ST70 cover back on. :o
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:36 am

My cat doesn't seem to have any interest in things that don't move. He went right for the spinner though. The interest didn't last long though.
Maybe he touched a plate lead on my 832A amp and learned already !

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dekatron-Spinner-mit-seltener-VX9194-Roehre-Nixie_W0QQitemZ160046059962QQihZ006QQcategoryZ65901QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

A total cat-astrophe

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:23 am

About thirty years ago, cat I had (appropriately named Bozo) was a very accomplished leaper (and often leapt without looking).

I had just cracked open a brand new George Harrison "Concert for Bangladesh" album, it was just on the second cut, Bozo leapt up, and landed on the rotating record. Left four sets of deep claw scrapes and destroyed an almost brand new Shure cartridge. Pioneer PL-50 turntable otherwise survived (I still have it to this day, and it still works) . Needless to say, I wasn't very pleased with this feline stunt, the cat must have been picking up my "must kill now" vibes and became very "scarce" for a couple days afterwards.

Bozo's first "leap of faith" when she was still a half-grown kitten, was into a pan of motor oil, over in the neighbor's yard, shortly after he had changed his oil. Looked just like those oil-soaked sea birds after the Exxon Valdez... About a million scratches (on my arms), half a bottle of baby shampoo, and one good shirt later, Bozo was oil-free and looked like static-electricity-charged fluffball for a few days afterwards. Bathing a cat in shampoo and lukewarm water isn't a job for the faint-hearted... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

Amazingly enough, Bozo lived to a ripe old age, and far surpassed the normal life expectancy for most cats, in spite of her Evel Knievel style risk-taking tendencies. As Nietzsche said, That which doesn't kill one, only serves to make one stronger. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Cat on 33

Postby lynxx » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:50 am

I had one of our cats jump right in the middle of my ACC record that I was playing on my SL1300. 17lbs on record was not pretty. She was only good for 1/2 revolution before my roaring got her off the record. I do a lot of reading on your board and enjoy the information that everyone imparts here. Keep the the tubes glowing!!!
lynxx

Return to tube 101