Will this work?

ask your general tube related questions here

Will this work?

Postby kt88pppamp » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:18 am

I will sometime try to build a power amplifier. I am a noob to the tube building scene and am trying to learn the basics. Here is the schematic. The tubes are 6v6's. I wish to add up to four tubes.

kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:10 am

I simulated these two circuits in Glassware's SE Amp Cad. Results could be all over the place. Note the high 3rd harmonic distortion. Why not build a knock off of Bottlehead's SEX (SE Experimenters) amp? Or Gary Kaufman's SE 6EM7 amp(which uses the same 5k iron if you've already purchased it)? Just my two cents.

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby lndm » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:55 pm

This is parallel single ended (PSE). Notwithstanding separks simulated results in this case, this is not uncommon, though not as common as a single output device.

You can tie the cathodes together and use a single cathode resistor of half the value, if you wish. Adding a little more resistance to one cathode though may be desired for balancing current in the two devices.

Same can be said about the grid resistor. If you tie the grids together, give them individual grid stoppers (not shown on the schematic).

Of course, you'll want to make sure your OPT can handle the current.

If you strike a good balance between current, supply voltage and loading, you'll be rewarded with a little extra power.
lndm

Return to tube 101