slow death spiral

ask your general tube related questions here

Re: slow death spiral

Postby Quad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:01 am

mesherm (Mike Sherman), I am so happy to see your post - it has been a
long time since we have seen any post from you. The "Advanced Snake Oil" thread you started
has had such a long life :)
The tiny Amplimo toroid build you posted here was cool (pics below) and inspiring and I got a VTA board from
you to build my first tube amp with Trafomatic toroid OPTs.

Quad
KT88

Postby kheper » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Can we attribute diytube's "slow death spiral" to the evil monstrosity that is FaceBook? (I know I'd like to.)
kheper
KT88

Postby jwhitmor » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:19 pm

I still enjoy diytube. Like the others, I am sometimes too busy to build equipment, but I still have the tools, and parts to do it. Shannon Parks and Tom McNally have done an exceptional job of running the board(s). I learned a great deal from everyone that posted here; questions, and answers, photos, and information. Diytube fills a very significant gap in tube audio. At the top are the very nice, but way too expensive, commercial offerings. I always wanted to own a tube amp from Audio Research, but the family needed a roof over their head more. Then at the bottom are some Asian imports, where many compromises were made to get the parts cost in line with the shipping cost, and to satisfy the budget market. Here I got information and printed circuit boards to build equipment as good as my ears. Shannon has a recent video where he answers questions. He said that, "someday" he would like to get back to this type of interaction. Someday may never come, but I hope most of us are still here if it does. 2355 registered users are not wrong. This is a great pursuit for those who are interested.

For the record... I have no Facebook account, and I never will. (evil)
If it is not making X-rays, your B+ is too low.
jwhitmor

Postby jwhitmor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:24 pm

OK, maybe 2000 of the registered members are - EBAY tube sellers - but that still leaves 355 of us diehard enthusiasts.
If it is not making X-rays, your B+ is too low.
jwhitmor

Postby dannyr » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:23 am

I just figured that facebook groups hurt this place. Most forums that I go to are all ghost towns these days:(
dannyr

Previous

Return to tube 101