Standard boards for standard amps

the thermionic watercooler

Standard boards for standard amps

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 am

In this forum, a number of projects with PCBs to go with them are presented. Some boards are more universal that others like the Clementine. That is good if someone wants to try something else that 1626.
I recently obtained a slightly similar universal PCB for KT88, but also tubes like 6L6 and even GU50. However the board is buggy and needs to be corrected in some places.

Not long ago, I saw a universal driver PCB with a compactron triple triode, set up for a PP-amp driving a pair of whatever, pentodes, tetrodes, triodes. Think it was one of Pete Millets inventions.

I would like to see more of that, universal driver boards for SE and PP amps, not a complete amp. It could definitely be of help when breadboardning new stuff.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Re: Standard boards for standard amps

Postby Geek » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 pm

You mean his "Engineers Amp"? (???)
http://www.pmillett.com/dcpp.htm

soundbrigade wrote:....I saw a universal driver PCB with a compactron triple triode....

Problem with those is they're getting rare (ask McIntosh tuner owners) and when you do find them, they're not much matched sections left in them (sick)

I used to sell "universal" octal, noval and 7-pin PCB's and they took FOREVER to sell out! =:o
(they sell in bursts - 10 at once, nothing for a year. Sell 5 then a week later 15, then nothing for two years)

Only little guys like us are dumb enough to carry those :$
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Re: Standard boards for standard amps

Postby soundbrigade » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:47 pm

God, I really love you. We should get together, all of us one say, share crazy beer, strangle penguins, talk about the weirdest tubes we've ever used and the joy of pulling out pubic hairs of bound teenag ... Sorry, that was another forum.

There are breadbords that holds one or two or three tubes available almost anywhere; 1-3 sockets and some holes for various components in any chosen combination.

Actually, it was the sight of this (http://www.pmillett.com/ttdrv.htm) that got me going.

Compactrons are nice in a way, and some propably cheap because they are so odd. Had once an idea of building Rozenblit's GG preamp from a triple triode.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Return to diy hifi