PAS-2 Z Mod Wiring Woes

the thermionic watercooler

PAS-2 Z Mod Wiring Woes

Postby deathman68 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on upgrading my old PAS-2 and have some doubts as a noob in the modding tube amp world. I've been in contact with Holger from Tube Nirvana and his response has been tremendous (fast and very helpful), but I thought I'd reach out the forum to give him a break from my constant stream of emails :P .

I recently purchased the Z-mod PCB upgrade (PC5 and PC6). I know that I will be deleting the stereo/mono, treble, bass, filter, and loudness switches/pots, but still have some doubts about wiring up the selector switch. As per the schematic below, it's not entirely clear to me how I should be wiring it.

My PAS still has the old style selector as seen in the pic below which is a series of three wafers (A,B, and C) on a shaft. According the schematic, I'm not clear as to whether I should remove all wires from the switch and rewire using only one of the three "wafers" (ie. L & R on wafer A for example), or whether I can use the existing configuration (wafer A for R and wafer C away for L) moving forward. Additionally, it looks like the wires from the source tape switch run to a junction at one of the wafers before running to the tape out. Can anyone help me shed some light on this?

deathman68

Re: PAS-2 Z Mod Wiring Woes

Postby deathman68 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:33 pm

For what it´s worth, I deduced the problem after further study. For anyone interested in the z-mod PCB upgrade, note that you will need a new selector switch at minimum. I´m sure that there is a way to use the wafer style switch, but it was worth the $4 at my local electronics store to make the selector switch upgrade to a 2-pole 6-position switch. Combine that with eliminating the loudness switch as well as blend switch etc, I was able to get the wiring sorted. Now onto the next topic which I will soon post separately!
deathman68

Return to diy hifi