Triode Electronics - Experiences?

the thermionic watercooler

Triode Electronics - Experiences?

Postby deathman68 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi all,

I placed an order with Triode on Dec 31st for some ST70 parts and have yet to receive ANY sort of communication from them apart from what I'm assuming is the automatically generated order detail and of course the corresponding hefty charge to my bank account. I have tried calling several times and left two messages as well as sent two emails after waiting what I believe to be a prudent amount of time between calls/emails. Perhaps I'm a spoiled brat accustomed to my Amazon Prime account or the personal touch of dealing with mom and pop type electronics places, but so far I've received neither luxury from Triode. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt given that the order was placed on New Year's Eve and it's conceivable that they were on vacation for a few days, but I'm getting anxious after having read about some previous experiences with them.

Can anyone comment on recent experiences with them? All of the posts I have found tend to be a few years old. Thanks everyone for your wisdom and may the forum gods strike me down if this post is misplaced :P

- Jeff
deathman68

Re: Triode Electronics - Experiences?

Postby Geek » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:07 am

Moved ;)

I haven't dealt with them, but plenty of colleagues have. They are either on the ball or "dissappear" off the radar with no in between it seems :/

They haven't been the same since Unce Ned's passing :(
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:02 am

I've haven't had any negative experiences with them. I also believe that one shouldn't air negative comments about businesses on forums. The problem seems to be yours and you should deal with it in private. Sometimes businesses shut down over holidays to let their employees have some needed time off. I've waited two weeks now for a order of speakers for a commercial speakers for a job and I got them yesterday. Deal with it privately.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby deathman68 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:15 am

Thanks Geek for moving this post and thanks all for the replies. I wasn't attempting to bash this supplier, only gauge others' experiences with them since I've been unable to make any headway dealing with them privately. Also, I hope that my experience can help other forum members when choosing a vendor since we are all here to share knowledge and experiences (I'm especially here to learn since I'm still a noob). My apologies if I've offended anyone.

I'm anxious to get the ST70 up and running again and will report back when I've made some progress to share pics, but more likely to ask additional questions as I begin building the new PCBs!
deathman68

Postby IceFyre13th » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:00 am

I disagree with burnedfingers

While I agree that outright bashing is uncalled for, I do think issues with vendors should be posted so others can be made aware of potential problems.

Its a two way street, the public wil know who is good and who is bad, and the vendors will see what they can improve on with their customer service, WIN WIN in my mind.
IceFyre13th

Postby burnedfingers » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:13 am

Feel free to disagree.

Since this topic has been mentioned on another forum I will mention briefly what I also said there. I have been waiting for some AR-15 parts since Dec 4. I have a 300 upper on order from a company in Texas and yes my charge card has been debited for it. I am also waiting for a charging handle and bolt assembly for another AR that I am building and have been charged for it too. I am patient because I have ordered a lot of parts in the past 40-50 years. Experience has taught me that there is going to be an extended waiting time in the weeks before Christmas and thru the Christmas season. There is reason or several reasons for this.... most companies know that their people will be taking time off during the season and instead of running a dept at say 30% its more efficient to just shut it down for this time. Secondly during this time the carriers are swamped with additional Christmas packages. Another thought is this... some companies use the (JIT) just in time manner of conducting business. Basically they don't order parts until they are out and they have orders for more parts. This can result in you the person patiently waiting for parts to have to wait longer. There could be other factors in play such as suppliers possibly out of some parts that you ordered and instead of shipping a partial order they sit on the order until all parts show up and they can ship the whole order.

I would send them a registered letter that they will have to sign for requesting an update on your particular order and asking for a shipping date. This will result in a answer as to when your order will arrive and will do far more for you than asking a bunch of people what their thoughts are about a particular company or the companies failure to promptly ship the order. This letter will also go up and down the chain of command and will bring the problems attention to those that need to know if there is a problem. In short your problem will be solved and your parts will arrive promptly. Been there done that.

I would send a registered letter and come back to this thread and comment on how that has been handled by Triode.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby cdmawolf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:47 pm

At this point in time you cannot equate anything to the firearm industry. The propaganda perpetuated by the Manufacturers and the NRA have caused a backlog of at least 4 weeks on anything to do with gun hardware.
As for Registered letters, I have myself seen no less than 12 or so letters delivered (in the last 6 years) with no signature even though it was paid for.
I have always had good luck with Triode and the word "potential" was in the statement.
Last edited by cdmawolf on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdmawolf

Postby burnedfingers » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:43 pm

Seems you have an answer for the firearms industry or think you do. This however doesn't explain why I have waited weeks for a JBL speaker order to complete a job I'm on. I haven't had any problem with Triode lately but I do seem to recall an order into them that had me calling them to receive an update. Like I still think ...this problem should be taken care of either via the phone or registered letter and not on any forum.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby cdmawolf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:45 pm

and everyone has their own opinion
cdmawolf

Postby 20to20 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:01 pm

burnedfingers wrote: I haven't had any problem with Triode lately but I do seem to recall an order into them that had me calling them to receive an update. Like I still think ...this problem should be taken care of either via the phone or registered letter and not on any forum.

Triode and every other supplier get the benefit of WOM adverts on these boards so it's only fitting that other's negative experiences get an airing, too. I don't think you can say this board is "taking care of" the problem. We're dealing with little cottage industry, garage, spare room, self-storage, businesses, online who take the money first and feel their time is the most important, ...
Last edited by 20to20 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby pmarcin » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:44 am

i would have ordered from Dynakitparts or Bob Latino. Kevin @ Dyna doesn't bill until he ships; Bob sells the VTA-70 board. Legally, they owe
you 8% interest from the date of your check's clearing.
pmarcin

Postby petercapo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 pm

I generally have not had the best experience with Triode USA, including recently. Sometimes they are responsive, other times they just vanish. On more than one occasion they’ve said that things were going to be a certain way but then it was not. Another time, I ordered an item from the website and it went perfectly.

Seems to me they are a hit-and-miss proposition. Too bad, because they have a lot of interesting stuff on their website.
petercapo

Postby burnedfingers » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 am

I've only ordered from the website and have had no problems.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby justinsweber » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:48 pm

Jeff,

Some of the responses are spill over from diyaudio where I asked a similar question. I've had trouble with triode on my last 2 orders. This last time 3 weeks went by without communication in spite of my repeated calls and emails. When I finally asked for my order to be canceled, the email was returned imidedtly and the order was canceled. This was not what I wanted, I wanted the parts. In the end, I was able to order the 2 st70 power supply pcbs I needed and will wait to order the st70 driver pcb as they were out for the next 2 weeks.

Triodes communication has been terrible lately, but they make some really nice products too and have been a community support for many years.

I do wish thry would reengage and improve communication.

I have communication from them in the last 7 days. Hope this helps. Try emailing?

Hope this helps
justinsweber

Postby burnedfingers » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:01 am

I have an unused power supply board for dynaco stereo 70 if your interested.
burnedfingers
KT88

Next

Return to diy hifi