phono preamp gain

the thermionic watercooler

phono preamp gain

Postby Stunch » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:14 pm

There are some stand-alone phono stages out there, which preclude the need of a typical preamp. They can plug right into a power amp since they have enough gain, and also have a volume pot. I'm looking into this set-up (I have no need for any other source), but wonder if there are units that have the necessary extra gain and a volume pot; and not have the selector switches, extra power supplies, and so on that come with the typical preamp. Something like a passive preamp, but not passive. ;)

Is there such a thing? A 10-20 db gain box with a volume pot?
Stunch

Re: phono preamp gain

Postby Geek » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:03 am

Not sure I understand the question...

A moving magnet phono preamp has a gain of 100 @ 1KHz. Budgie is a little less at 85 or so. A moving coil has a gain of 1000.

What's more important though is the equalization curve. That can make or break an otherwise good design.

Are you wanting something active to boost a MC to MM input levels?
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Stunch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:40 am

No, not looking for a SUT. I'm looking for a stripped down preamp that only includes one gain stage and volume control. Or a kit that can be used in an existing phono stage. I want to drive my ST-35 directly with a phono preamp.
Stunch

Postby Geek » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:32 am

Ah! You basically want a preamp with one input, output and a volume knob.

To be honest, I'd suggest any little low noise opamp circuit, TL072 is a dual low noise, inexpensive fellow.

Tiny transformer, 7812, 7912, a few caps and resistors and you're good to go! :))
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Stunch » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for your input, Geek. I see that Shannon has a hybrid version of the Budgie phono preamp listed on e-Bay. That might be the ticket. Maybe just adding a volume control to it, or one at the input of the amp would be enough.
Stunch

Return to diy hifi