Any future development for 120 watts based on KT150? :)

the thermionic watercooler

Any future development for 120 watts based on KT150? :)

Postby mpndang » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:24 am

Hope everyone is still around
I am new to tube amp :P Really don't know anything but have been reading for while to understand a little bit. I can solder well with schematic but still behind the connection between transformer and PCB, I think I catch up around 80%.

With my speakers spec below, I wonder if it works with this tube? I have checked with manufacture, they said the min. requirement is 50w amp.
Sensitivity: 87.7 dB SPL with 2.83 V @ 1m (2 π anechoic)
Impedance 6.0 Ω (nominal), 3.7 Ω (minimum @ 90 Hz)

I really like the design of this PCB because everything is on the board. Do you plan to order more PCB later? I am focus to KT120 and KT150 and saw the updated parts so I guess this board should be fine since I saw a thread with KT150. I don't really need right now but maybe later when I'm ready to do it.

How many watts output if using for KT120 and KT150? I thought I read somewhere in here someone mention KT120 is up to 90w but couldn't remember which thread.

Can't think anything else to ask right now but I have been studied the PCB and schematic and it looks very simple after solder all parts :P
mpndang

Re: Any future development for 120 watts based on KT150? :)

Postby Geek » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Welcome!

As a newcomer to tubes, one thing you will find is all those rating recommendations on the backs of speakers are useless. Those are for typical solid state watts for reasonable dynamic range, ususally for Classic Rock tracks according to a couple manufacturers I spoke to. There are even full range drivers with 87dB sensitivity with a MAX power of 10 watts out there!

Due to the harmonic structure content, you may be satisfied with a tube amplifier of 30W and would likely even be happy with 10.

But how would I know? Because I've heard it.

So, how can you know? Go out and listen! :))

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby mpndang » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:36 pm

I thought my thread has been deleted since I post it under eiclone's page. I like his design and the 60w output. I really don't know anyone around to borrow tube to test with my speakers. I am currently using Mark Levinson 400w solid state but like to experience with the tube to see how the sound different between them.

Thanks for some info :$
mpndang

Postby Geek » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:59 pm

Sorry, I moved it because I didn't see anything specific to the Eiclone in the question (???) :$
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby mpndang » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Oh, it's ok, I already asked him when he will have the PCB available again. I saw one thread in that room did KT150 tube on Eiclone Power Monoblock PCB. I will ask Shannon again to see if he can design 4 KT150 instead of the current with 2 tubes. :))
mpndang

Postby lexx21 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:57 pm

I think that you will be completely amazed at just how loud 5-10 watts can be from an average set of speakers. I built a 7 watt triode strapped 6v6 pp amp and even with hearing protection I cannot turn it up all the way.
lexx21

Postby mpndang » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:02 pm

I got 400w solid state amp but have never turned it too loud, enough to listen. Never have tube amp before so I was thinking to have something that can drive the speakers. I will have more reading to understand the tube amp. I thought the watts is based on the sensitivity of the speakers. :$
mpndang

Return to diy hifi