Introduction, and a question

the thermionic watercooler

Introduction, and a question

Postby aros_71 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi

New around here. I joined because I want to build a KT88 P/P amp and figured others had probably walked this path before me. It's going to be fed by digital sources mainly, as well as my Little Bear phono preamp

I have a question - I'm looking for recommendations regarding the best software to do circuit diagrams with.

There are a few specific requirements building valve (tube) circuits such as the ability to customise the transformer symbol for the number of windings and taps, plus the ability to show a twin-triode (12AX7 etc) in two halves but represented as one ... all the stuff you can draw by hand easily then makes you tear your hair out when trying to replicate it on the PC.

Anyone got any good suggestions?

Apologies if this has been asked before - the n00b factor. I did search first, but didn't find a suitable answer. I get the feeling it's just one of those things "you have to know" and if you have to ask, then you're not worthy!!
aros_71

Re: Introduction, and a question

Postby Gingertube » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:47 pm

No sarcasm intended:
I find a pencil and paper works great. When you have completed the schematic and all changes to get the circuit going and tuned, then scan it. The act of hand drawing it leads you into understanding the schematic.

In the day job I use Altium Designer but that is way beyond the price range of a hobbiest.

You could probably use the schematic capture part of a free circuit simulator. For that I would recommed LTSpice since, should you then progress to circuit simulation, there are a heap of tube models available for that simulator.

Should you wish to progress to Printed Board Layout then there will be better options.

Cheers,
Ian
Gingertube

Postby Geek » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:58 pm

I have a bunch of symbols that began with a guy from Seven Transistor Labs by the name of Tim Williams:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/files/symbols.zip

They are in .bmp, so you can use M$ Paint, or as I do, GIMP :))
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:50 am

While this new Altium software doesn't fly for me, it seems perfect for DIYers (see Dave Jone's video review):
http://www.eevblog.com/2015/06/16/eevbl ... pressions/

Looks like the death of Eagle, maybe. My issues are lack of file privacy, no Gerber viewer (!), and possibly being left high-n-dry by the Altium cloud in a few years.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Core32 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:21 am

I use the free ExpressPCB / ExpressSCH for most of my schematic drawings, even if I don't intend to generate a PCB.
The symbol editor is "decent" and flexible but the provided library is limited.
I have found some free tube related symbol libraries on the web but had to search a bit.
I have also made at least 2 dozen different designs into PCBs using their service for that.
Decent quality for the price since most shops won't even consider making very low volumes.

http://www.expresspcb.com/
Core32

Postby IceFyre13th » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Core32 wrote:I use the free ExpressPCB / ExpressSCH for most of my schematic drawings, even if I don't intend to generate a PCB.

http://www.expresspcb.com/

+1, yes limited, but does the job and not that expensive to have PCB's made
IceFyre13th

Return to diy hifi