Radio Shack: if you need to say goodbye, better go now

the thermionic watercooler

Re: Radio Shack: if you need to say goodbye, better go now

Postby Geek » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:05 pm

jwhitmor wrote:I was thinking more about getting access to the recording studio digital master sesson recordings, as opposed to what I download now, which I suspect are FLAC files ripped from a CD.

If the FLAC's are official releases from the band (like often found on CDBaby inde groups, especially Jazz), they are from the masters. FLAC's ripped from CD are not acceptable other than for sharing on Usenet and even more and more of those are being ripped from vinyl and not the CD! ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Robert Cham » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:20 pm

I hope that no one thinks that FLAC "Loseless" are uncompressed audio. That would be WAV files, uncompressed PCM.

Bob
Robert Cham

Postby jwhitmor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for the tip Geek,
It will be fun to go to CD-Baby and download some fresh tracks. I mostly listen to jazz, but depending on the mood, just about any genre will do if it was skillfully produced.

As for Radio Shack... I will miss them, I bought a lot of parts (my first LED, way cool) at the shack when Digi-Key was a single page flyer folded into four pages. We just opened a new "Maker Space" in our town, not far from our Radio Shack. I hope the Maker Space is successful, because it has equipment and mentors to support the creativity of our students and inventors.
If it is not making X-rays, your B+ is too low.
jwhitmor

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:24 am

First Radio Shack closure list:
http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/R ... 020415.pdf

My local stores survived the first cut! No doubt to all my purchases there. ;)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Our local store in Belleview is completely shut down and empty. RIP.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby gui_tarzan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:23 pm

I all but emptied the parts cabinet at ours the other day. I got all the caps, resistors, toggle switches, most of the transistors and ICS and other odds and ends at 90% off. $67 for almost $700 worth of parts I can use for projects or repairs. I hate to see any store close but they got a lot of money from me over the last 30+ years.
gui_tarzan

Postby dhuebert » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:16 pm

Here in Kanada, Radio shack is long gone. When I was in electronics school in the early '80s there were a dozen electronic suppliers in town, recently the last two joined forces and became the last one, I guess I'm old.

A couple of years ago I helped organize a British car show in Kenora, Ontario. It was well attended with about 125 cars and about 200 people, everyone seemed to have a good time. On Saturday afternoon we held the show part of the weekend on the waterfront and, apart from the hurricane, it went well. As I looked out at the cars I noticed that at 50 years old I was one of the youngest people there, many were in their 80s. What will happen to these cars in ten years? I don't know but I'm sure I will find out.

Things are changing and a lot of the stuff we love is being left behind.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby jamesfeline » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am

a old thread I know

But Maplins in the UK will be going the same way soon
jamesfeline

Postby Geek » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Not surprising.

There are even adults who come into my store that I have to explain what a radio signal is to them. They have no wireless concept beyond WiFi (sick)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby TerryB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:05 am

I would definitely miss Radio Shack if it went away. Parts there may be a little more expensive than buying online but it is just so much more convenient when you need parts immediately. Not having to wait the usual 5-7 business days for the slow shipping from online retailers is wonderful. It even beats Amazon's free 2 day shipping. I'm so glad General Wireless and Sprint came to the rescue and that the store closest to where I live is one of the stores that was saved.
TerryB

Postby soundbrigade » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:01 pm

I notice that many "big" electronic shops/stores are bought up by even bigger.

Maplin has a special place in my heart becase of their connections to ETI (=synthesizers).
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Previous

Return to diy hifi