Radio Shack: if you need to say goodbye, better go now

the thermionic watercooler

Radio Shack: if you need to say goodbye, better go now

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:47 am

"RadioShack's future is about as bright as the VHS tapes it used to sell.
The chain of 4,000 stores has just $62 million in cash left - a figure that is rapidly approaching zero. Things are so dire that it actually doesn't have enough money to close the 1,100 locations management says it needs to shutter."

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/31/news/co ... ?hpt=hp_t4

Not long for the world, folks.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: Radio Shack: if you need to say goodbye, better go now

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 am

That is just too bad. I'll miss them. But they have become mostly a cell phone store now. I do still occasionally find a few useful parts from time to time. Sorry to see them go. It's just a matter of time.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 am

As a freshman in college wayyyy back in 1989, I roomed next to a guy that had worked at RS and he told me stories of their clearance item markdown list. Items would drop their price every month until they were pennies on the dollar. We would always hassle the local RS store and ask to see "the list". I remember getting a nice Optimus car tape deck (re-badged Alpine ?) and a stack of metal (Type IV) 8-track tapes for peanuts. Another memory is the huge tube tester in the back of the shop until the early 80's. Also, our first micro was a TRS-80 Model III back in 1982. And I *really* wanted a Model 100. I think that device has proved that it was way ahead of its time.

My last purchase was fall of 2013 sometime - I forget what it was. *)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:06 am

That sound really sad. There were and maybe still are, some electronic or DIY stores out there in the world. When travelling in/on Ireland I spotted a MAplin shop in Cork.
I bought a bunch of EL34 some 30 years ago, in a shop called Clas Ohlson here in Sweden, now there are just camping chairs, coffee machines and dog collars left ....
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:46 pm

I regularly buy misc. parts from RS for my tube amp projects. Mostly last minute things that I forget to buy online. I'd be sad to see them go out of business, whenever that may be.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Sad :(

Surprised they didn't learn from the mistake that RS Canada made by trying to wade into the pool with the boys much bigger than they were (going head-to-head with Walmart and Bell... seriously?)

The chain of 4,000 stores has just $62 million in cash left - a figure that is rapidly approaching zero.

I've had clients with that much money in their bank account just for a family of four! They're toast =:o
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Hotsauce » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:53 am

Its been downhill ever since they dropped the 'Lafayette'

John
Hotsauce

Postby WA4SWJ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:26 am

Interesting Seeking Alpha article on the Shack. Check the comments at the bottom of the article.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2393405 ... lost?ifp=0

Unless some kind of white knight shows up it seems unlikely to survive.
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby dannyr » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:41 pm

So sad. I go there all the time to pickup resistors etc last minute. It's limited selection has saved me a bunch of times.
dannyr

Postby Geek » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:49 am

WA4SWJ wrote:Interesting Seeking Alpha article on the Shack. Check the comments at the bottom of the article.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2393405 ... lost?ifp=0

Unless some kind of white knight shows up it seems unlikely to survive.

Comments don't show for some reason (???)

The article writer is a tad clueless, though. He writes like an investor, not a customer, client, user of the products and services. I worked for them and used them. It's the "Think like an investor" attitude that killed the company.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:34 am

I had a dream about radio shack last night. I walked in and it was like 1975, even though it was 2014. A whole bunch of very high end, dusty speakers; big, crazy grills, all real wood. And a bunch of amplifiers, and other stuff all going cheap.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 am

DeathRex wrote:I had a dream about radio shack last night. I walked in and it was like 1975, even though it was 2014. A whole bunch of very high end, dusty speakers; big, crazy grills, all real wood. And a bunch of amplifiers, and other stuff all going cheap.

Wow - these 1975 prices are killing me. And this was a few years before mega inflation.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1975/

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:11 am

Even their best TT's in 1975 didn't come with universal headshells (???)
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:15 pm

And, most of the other RadioShack Catalogs, beginning with 1939

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catal ... ctory.html
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby skidave » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:06 am

It will soon be to the point where all components need to be ordered online. The selection is great, but man it really stinks waiting for them to show up. And then when you forgot something or find out you need one more resistor you don't have in your drawer!

In the last year, I have stopped by RS for 9 volt battery connectors, DPDT switches and a plastic enclosure. I remember riding my bike to an electronics store by my house when I was in middle school and high school to get cable, connectors, ICs, tools, etc. That place is long since out of business; which makes no sense since they were the biggest name in the area for network wiring, patch panels, tooling, and more.

So, I'm not old enough to say I was able to go and purchase Heathkits and the like. Trust me, I wish I was. But, I do remember in '92 or '93 riding my bike to RS to buy the Optimus equalizer that was on-sale pre Christmas. My first EQ...which like any good electronics horder, I still have. Along with the owners manual and service manual (I wanted to see the circuits of the EQ).
skidave

Next

Return to diy hifi