Lambda PFA500-360 SMPS

the thermionic watercooler

Lambda PFA500-360 SMPS

Postby EWBrown » Sat May 03, 2014 5:30 pm

I wonder just how useful this device would (or not) be for tube audio purposes, 360VDC @ 1.4A self-contained modular switching power supply:

Mouser P/N 967-PF500A-360

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TDK ... 9r8A%3d%3d

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/475/pr_pf-271224.pdf

Unit cost approx. $155.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Lambda PFA500-360 SMPS

Postby Gingertube » Sun May 04, 2014 11:48 pm

I have considered using these in the past but have been put off by cost. At $155 however this is quite attractive and probably cheaper than an equivalent power transformer + rectifier etc.
It will certainly be lighter.

***** The CRITICAL thing is whether or not the 360V DC Output is ISOLATED from Mains ******.

I believe this one is isolated but most AC to DC Converter Front End Modules are NOT so we need to be VERY careful.
If the output is not isolated from mains input then it must not be used (VICOR Front End Modules for example are not isolated and are therefore not suitable for this use.)

You then use that 360V DC for the main B+ supply and to feed a 6V 50W DC to DC Converter for running the heaters.

Discussion.
The VICOR Front End Modules are used to drive DC to DC Converters which do provide input to output isolation and that is where they get their safety. In our case we want to use the "interim" 360V DC so we need the isolation in the Front End Module.

I use the VICOR range extensively in the day job (Laser Airborne Depth Sounder), so I know a bit about this stuff.

Cheers,
Ian
Gingertube

Re: Lambda PFA500-360 SMPS

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 am

I have a VICOR front end (120/240VAC to 300VDC) schematic laying around here somewhere. Not isolated. When things blow up downstream they tended to blow up, too (i.e. I replaced many bad ones over the years in a commercial 20W cellular transmitter). All the used and overstock VICOR seem to be much more expensive than several years ago. I think the front ends were on Marlin P Jones for $50 for many years.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to diy hifi