Premium tube sockets

the thermionic watercooler

Premium tube sockets

Postby hilldweller » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm

I ran across these and really like the pins. Has anyone used these? Snake oil or practical?

http://www.thetubestore.com/Parts-Acces ... ube-Socket

http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetube ... iagram.jpg
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Re: Premium tube sockets

Postby nyazzip » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:50 pm

i'm guessing that the first time you slide a tube in, the one-atom thick gold plating is worn through to the underplate....i wouldn't go for it, unless maybe i lived in a surfside cabana
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:26 am

I use the Woo Audio types on my high-end builds in positions that get "rolled" often. They are worth it because you can roll tubes to your heart's content and the socket will not wear out.

The 4-pin grips like no other socket I've used. I highly recommend those over the Shuguang or even Western Electric bakelite.

Now, the octal socket as I mentioned is GREAT for a tube roller. If you don't roll octals, the cheaper ceramic types will do just fine.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Hotsauce » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:27 am

I prefer sockets with looped connectors.

If available I'd pick silver or rhodium plating over gold, and teflon or bakelite over the more resonant ceramic.

John
Hotsauce

Postby coolhandjjl » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:51 am

The ones linked are akin to socket savers. They plug into a board with existing sockets to raise the level of tubes up higher. I bought three of those to elevate the tubes to mount above the chassis. It seemed like it would work. They get mounted under the chassis, then you fit your socketed board up underneath. Problem is, it was difficult for me to get them to fit snuggly into the sockets on the board. Even after I fiddled with the board for quite a while and believed I had positive contact in all three sockets, my preamp had intermittent issues. Trouble shooting led me to those things. I removed them and all is well.
coolhandjjl

Return to diy hifi