Transformers ??

the thermionic watercooler

Transformers ??

Postby hilldweller » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:50 pm

I was wondering why nobody here uses toroidal transformers in their power amps. It seems to me that stacked core power amp transformers would more likely cause magnetic hum interference due to the high voltage and current.
Funny thing though, I see toroidal transformers in preamps which are less likely to have this problem due to the low current.
One might think that stacked core transformers would be ok in preamps and then toroidal transformers in power amps. Go figure? Does this not make better sense?
I'm no engineer but I do use common sense. At least I believe I do. (???)
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Re: Transformers ??

Postby Geek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:30 am

Hi,

I personally have no aversion to toroidal types. The commissioned builds I do however require a consistent look (Edcor OPT's, Edcor power for example).

I've been working on a hybrid design that if successful, will be using an Antek when stock comes back in.

Cheers!

*append*

I have experienced that toroidals are more susceptible to saturation by DC on the line due to assymetric waveforms. A simple DC blocker will cure this:
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewt ... f=5&t=4602
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby mesherm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:17 am

I have used toroids in a number of my builds both for power and output and they have worked fine. Its hard to beat Edcors for low cost though.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:44 am

I'd probably be more inclined to use more toroids if decent OPT's were affordable. Too many toroid makers ignore "DIY practical" ones liike a generic 3K4, 5K, 6K6 and 8K PP OPT's in favour of the 300B SE obsession :/
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby battradio » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Here is a Baldwin amp I installed Antek output toroids on and have two pair of Antek power transformers to use on two future builds , and another pair of outputs to use when i get the right pair of output tubes .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:43 am

I've been using toroid power transformers on almost all recent new builds, their quiet, run cool, and inexpensive.

An Antek 4TK-400 powers this monster: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5896
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Return to diy hifi