Next Build-smart phone input question

the thermionic watercooler

Next Build-smart phone input question

Postby MacL » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi all,
Need advice- looking to build next HIFI tube project (love my Budgie SE).
Can the Clementine (w/6L6) and the 6SL7 pre amp tube be driven by a smartphone?
Can the Stereo 35 be driven by a smartphone? Has anyone used the ST35 with it's own volume controls?
Thanks for the help- just trying to decide which project to start and I never thought I would use my smartphone for music but now I love it for free streaming and surprised how good it sounds with a good amp and speakers.
MacL

Re: Next Build-smart phone input question

Postby 20to20 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Does your manual for the phone give a max. audio out signal specification and an output impedance spec. for the jack it'll come out of?
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby Hotsauce » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm

I've run my phone(note 2) into a variety of amps with no issues.

John
Hotsauce

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Yes, it will if:
1) it's a trioded Clementine with no feedback
2) device can output 1Vrms.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby nyazzip » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:58 am

you need to ask yourself: what quality audio is output by the phone? if it is not CD quality, then you are simply wasting a lot of electricity by reproducing it with a tube amplifier.
nyazzip
KT88

Postby MacL » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:54 am

Hi All,
I understand your statement and remember a time when my audiophile friend in the 80's would use his new stereo VHS VCR to record albums. I never thought I would care for digital music but I am telling you my phone streaming music into my Budgie SE and out my Overnight Sensations sounds great. I have middle of the road classic SS equipment and have a decent ear - but I like the whole "mystic" of tube amps. Also the DIY part of this hobby is what it is about... I have built a few tube guitar amps and I am sure I didn't save any money over buying a factory amp-but I had fun and learned something- it made me brave enough to replace capacitors in my out of warranty big screen TV!
Anyway I would thought I would share this for comment or ridicule:

These are my phone specs:Frequency response Noise level Dynamic range THD IMD + Noise Stereo crosstalk
0.14, -0.12 -83.0 82.9 0.0089 0.020 -82.5
MacL

Postby Geek » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm

MacL wrote:These are my phone specs:Frequency response Noise level Dynamic range THD IMD + Noise Stereo crosstalk
0.14, -0.12 -83.0 82.9 0.0089 0.020 -82.5

You have an OK DAC in it, but.....

nyazzip wrote:you need to ask yourself: what quality audio is output by the phone? if it is not CD quality, then you are simply wasting a lot of electricity by reproducing it with a tube amplifier.

Like nyazzip implies, unless the file is lossless (FLAC, WAV, etc.) reproduction may be a moot point.

I use my phone as a portable sound source, but always use lossless files (even if they don't specify it, most any phone will do a WAV file or half the ringtones wouldn't work).

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to diy hifi