New 10Y SET Stereo Amp

the thermionic watercooler

New 10Y SET Stereo Amp

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:03 am

So I actually just ended up building a 10Y SET amp with those 10K OPTs that I was asking everyone about what to do with them in the other post. I am very please with the results. I think this amp has a slight edge over the 45 in the highs and voices seem more focused. Can't beat the brightly glowing 10Ys! (b)

SDS-PAGE
KT88

Re: New 10Y SET Stereo Amp

Postby Geek » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 am

Looks great! Love those 'tater mashers' :))

Never heard of a 10Y until now. Have to check it out (y)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby dcriner » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:01 am

Nice looking layout.

Can you help me identify the transformers? Looking at your third photo, the two on the left are OPTs and the one on the right is the power xfmr. What is the fourth one on top and the two underneath the chassis?

The brown-based tube looks to be a rectifier, but I see four power diodes too?
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:28 pm

Never heard of a 10Y until now. Have to check it out (y)

If you get a chance, I would recommend listening to the 10Y. It's one of my favorite DHT tubes now.

Can you help me identify the transformers? Looking at your third photo, the two on the left are OPTs and the one on the right is the power xfmr. What is the fourth one on top and the two underneath the chassis?

The smallest transformer in between the power trans and the OPTs is a 8 hy choke. The two open frame transformers under the chassis are 6.3 CT filament transformers for the 10Y tubes, each powering a 10Y with 7.5 vdc.

The brown-based tube looks to be a rectifier, but I see four power diodes too?

If you are referring to the potato masher, yes, it is a 5R4 rectifier for B+. The full bridge diodes are for the 7.5 volts DC heating each 10Y.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Return to diy hifi