Power Supply Cap Banks

the thermionic watercooler

Re: Power Supply Cap Banks

Postby 20to20 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Geek wrote:Improve the sound? No, no, no... just different.

And have you tried it? The sonic difference on say a ST-70 is noticeable.

I was like you, shouted it down... then I tried it and nearly crapped myself =:o

Cheers!

I've had 5U's and 5R's as well as the 5AR's. I've got the 5R in place in my ST-70 since it only draws 2A and also has the larger voltage drop to bring the B+ down closer to the design voltages.

Geek, I was just surprised by your post above my reply, about using the 5U4 for great "mids." It pulled me straight out of my chair and up onto the soap box. (lol) *) *) I think we'd all like to have great..everything. (b) (b)
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby kt88pppamp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:22 am

It makes sense that a tube rectifier would not be great for deep bass as compared to silicon diodes. An indirectly heated or mercury vapor unit would be better for bass as they are more efficient and drop less voltage. When a bass transient hits, the rectifier would sag. Some guitarists like this effect. For hi-fi, no thanks. That is why I make all my new designs with solid state diodes. Cap banks would probably mitigate the effect but not eliminate it. I also use power transformers rated 100-200mA higher than what the amp would nominally require along with less choke and larger cap banks.
-Ice cream is irresistible.

-Spaghetti and salt is irinductable.

-Artichokes are ircapacitable.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby 20to20 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:22 am

kt88pppamp wrote:It makes sense that a tube rectifier would not be great for deep bass as compared to silicon diodes. An indirectly heated or mercury vapor unit would be better for bass as they are more efficient and drop less voltage. When a bass transient hits, the rectifier would sag. Some guitarists like this effect. For hi-fi, no thanks. That is why I make all my new designs with solid state diodes. Cap banks would probably mitigate the effect but not eliminate it. I also use power transformers rated 100-200mA higher than what the amp would nominally require along with less choke and larger cap banks.

Doesn't matter if its diodes or tubes. If you draw more power with either one than the amp is designed for, you will get a power sag. It's all about the design vs. the usage. If you design for 50W of continuous power and you have a big fat bass note that asks for 51W... too, bad.

The voltage through a diode drops to 0 just like it does through a tube on every A/C cycle. If the tube is rated for the current you need, then it's only the filters that will be the weak link. If those are big enough to keep the big fat bass note thumping, then all's well. The tube will pass what the caps want, and the caps will fill the wire with the power the outputs want on the A/C downstroke.

EDIT again... Think about the A/C cycle coming into the diode or a tube at the point where the voltage is 0 for either one. If the filtering is providing the power needed at that point, then the outputs don't give a rat's *** if the power is coming through a diode or a tube. It will be happily supplied. The design of the power supply must take the capabilities of the rectifiers into consideration. If a tube rectifier's internal impedance creates a bottleneck it's only because that factor wasn't considered into the design equation, given the final power needs. So if you "improve" an amp by puting diodes in the PS, or change to a tube with a different internal impedance, then you are only redesigning it after the fact to compensate for a demand that was higher than the original design could fully carry.
20to20
KT88

Postby kt88pppamp » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm

For my main loudspeaker setup I am running a pair of B&W 683's. On the back there are a four sets of binding posts that are bridged by a large bracket. The bracket is removed for biamping or bypassing the internal crossover for whatever reason. I was wondering where my bass went when I connected up my MKIII's downsizing from my PPP units. Turns out one of the brackets came loose on my right speaker. Now I have my bass back! Yeah! :) :) :) (b)

I now am listening to Jeffery Osborne's debut album and it sounds almost as loud as my 130 watt PPP amps at the same volume setting on the preamp. So it turns out at even half the recommended capacitance I have pretty punchie bass.

I am the type that likes to work rather than mooch over summer breaks. My student apartment complex is virtually empty and with no downstairs neighbor, I can crank it! Most young people like only the earthquake bass, but I need the mids and highs to back it up. All part of being hi-fi, unlike the rest of the mooching millennial's of my age, whom are all no-fi! We need school in the summer. The pre-industrial agrarian age is over people. (phone)

I had a few of them over to my place and they were just blown away by the sound. One even asked me where they can get a sound system like mine. I told them you should get a job first instead of partying all night, save some money, and I will build you one. ;) Never happened, lol!

Anyone else have a pair of those speakers? I compared them against a few other pairs and the others just sounded god-awful in comparison, and they were more expensive too! B&W really did their homework.

kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby 20to20 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:33 am

We need school in the summer. The pre-industrial agrarian age is over people.

Look at all the Farmers' Markets that are springing up. Computers and Smartphones are puting people out of work faster than society's ability to recognize that and adjust. There will be farmers when the last smartphone solar cell cracks and dies and the last e-mail has been sent.
20to20
KT88

Postby kt88pppamp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:03 pm

Yes, we always will need farmers. How else will we eat?

What are you all's feelings on the 683's. What types of speakers are you all running?

kt88pppamp
KT88

Previous

Return to diy hifi