Today's flea market score!

the thermionic watercooler

Postby 20to20 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 pm

separks wrote:[
I got thirteen UX7 sockets for 1625 projects - they're old chassis hole style with the clip. Got those for $10, and I've been looking for them for years. Nice thing about them is that I can drill out the centers of V2 & V3 on my Clem and retrofit these babies in. Thermion and I have about a hundred tested JAN RCA 1625s now, so I really need to start using them - LOL! Grabbed several NOS 6BZ7s from the same guy for 25 cents each.

A few tables down from that guy, I scored a real nice BK Precision 1822 Frequency Counter for $5 - decent condition with manual and works. I've calibrated it to our reference standard at work. It's a little gem. It's funny, as getting a nice little freq counter was my main goal and I picked it up about ten minutes in.

I bought three Genrad 1346 Microvolters - http://conradhoffman.com/GR1346.htm - for $10 total. Initial test showed less distortion on low level signals from my Boonton (say 10mV and less). I plan to use this for testing my phono preamp. I got three to build a nice one (missing knobs, etc.).

I did pick up some LPs - some early Sun Record's Johnny Cash and Cream's Disraeli Gears (which I didn't have and really wanted). That's about it. It was a good time as usual.

Shannon

Nice haul! Now that's what'cha call, "Playing in Peoria!"

$5 for a freq. meter... found in 10 minutes... makes the rest of the day more fun, not time wasted, looking through the smalls.

And who can't use a good microvolt meter...?

6BZ7's ...hmmm.. fit right between 12au7 and 12at7... 25 CENTS!!! Marked or haggled?

I think Illinois' hams are cheaper than NC's hams. $) $) (lol) (sick)
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Free, is mostly always good!

Postby EWBrown » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Well, I ended up with another Hammarlund Super-Pro. This one was for free. And for a good reason - really poor long-term storage conditions.

The outer cabinet was badly rusted up to about 2 inches up from the bottom, and upon extricating the receiver, it was immediately obvious that there is no way
that it will ever receive again, between the missing components (most of the resistors and capacitors) plus it had served as a mouse and bug condo for many many years... Still, it does have some salvageable parts, and most of the tubes were still good. This is the original super-pro and the tubes are the ST jugs, UX-6 and UX-7
bases, and grid caps on most of them. 6D6s and 6B7s, mostly, a few were missing, notably in the right hand side of the chassis, where the detectors and audio stages once resided. The Titanic can never be re-floated, but then, it yielded a few goodies.

I'll post photos, though I have already disposed of the corroded cabinet, I wanted it out of the house before it caused a major tetanus and bubonic plague outbreak =:o (666) :)) ;) (lol)

To "sweeten" the deal, he also threw in a free RCA TV sweep signal generator, which had a mild case of rust-it is, and included an interesting collection of dead insects, and a few mouse doots :/ .

All of its tubes tested excellent, and the power trannie and choke are in good condition. 350-0-350 @ 50 mA and 6/.3V @ 3A. The choke measured at 15H, and 750 ohms DCR. Good linestage power stuff, a tad too whimpy for a power amp, other than 12B4As with 325V B+ and 17 mA plate current as in the "Abraxas" SE amps.

Yeah, it was mostly junk, but it was free junk, and parts donors...

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Today's flea market score!

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 pm

No matter rusty, if it's got transformers and tubes it's golden. ;)
Does it look just like this?

Shannon

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Geek » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:31 pm

(love) (love) (love)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:09 pm

That one is about 100X nicer than my free one, it is similar to that model, but there are some major differences on the front panel, mine may have been modified / upgraded at some distant point in the past. (???) :/ BTW, I think the one shown in the pic is an HQ-130, or HQ-170 which had a lot in common with the Super-Pros.

I'm hoping that the two audio trannies (Class B interstage and output) are usable, they have the cloth insulated leads, and are in a serious "dry-rot" condition, and may have been gnawed on by mice, several decades ago. :'( =:o (n) in which case, they would be good only as paperweights (n)

Right now, the receiver carcass is setting upside-down on my bench, ready for a good "post mortem"... I'll get some good pics of it before any serious stripping commences...

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Got two more freebies from the same guy who gave me the Super-Pros (he's in process of cleaning out a large storage building)

B&K 970 Transistor Equipment Analyzer: (Though not quite as nice condition as the one pictured below)

I found an operating manual PDF file on the 'net, still searching for a schematic.

And two Hitachi 20 MHz oscilloscopes, Model V212, both in very clean and proper operating condition.

He and his brother used to own and operate a radio and TV repair shop, the older brother passed away,
an Ben has scaled down from a business, to a (very) part-time retirement hobby operation.

I've traded (and even given him) lots of the older style 4, 5, 6 and 7 pin UX tubes, Octals, Loctals, metal shell octals,
and "AA5" AC/DC radio tube sets (12BE6, 12BA6, 12AT6, 35W4 and 50C5), and various 7 pin "battery radio" tubes like 1S4, 1T4, 3S4, etc.

More stuff coming, over the next few months, as it slowly gets excavated/ extricated from the bowels of his building.

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm

I did pick up some LPs - some early Sun Records

...hard to go wrong with any Sun vinyl....
nyazzip
KT88

Postby azazello » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:25 pm

My Russian version oh Ham Super pro, with Ken Rad tubes. /From flee market, of course and very, very heavy/
https://picasaweb.google.com/1095707775 ... 6222186626
Last edited by azazello on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L&E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
azazello
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:02 pm

nyazzip wrote:
I did pick up some LPs - some early Sun Records

...hard to go wrong with any Sun vinyl....

I got a few original Johnny Cash Sun LPs this past Peoria hamfest for $1 each. I will grab every single Sun record I see here on out. The stuff is 1/2" thick and oozes magic and goosebumps. A Memphis trip with the family is planned.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Previous

Return to diy hifi