Why can't Edcor ship faster?

the thermionic watercooler

Postby DeathRex » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:55 am

For the price, I'd rather accept it. But when I'm King of the World.....
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:14 am

quote:
Not discounting what you said above, but stock on a shelf means money being wasted until it sells.

I have a hard time believing that they only purchase one spool of wire at a time in order to keep the materials cost down. Like I said in a prior post they would be money ahead manufacturing a few of each type of transformer and this would offset the setup time resulting in lower product cost and less turn around time to manufacture the product.

They are smart on one count and that is keep the demand high and the wait time high and this insures that they have a customer base that continues to want there very slow product.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby cbates55 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 am

burnedfingers wrote:quote:
Not discounting what you said above, but stock on a shelf means money being wasted until it sells.

I have a hard time believing that they only purchase one spool of wire at a time in order to keep the materials cost down. Like I said in a prior post they would be money ahead manufacturing a few of each type of transformer and this would offset the setup time resulting in lower product cost and less turn around time to manufacture the product.

They are smart on one count and that is keep the demand high and the wait time high and this insures that they have a customer base that continues to want there very slow product.

You misunderstood what I meant, I was talking about the final products sitting on the shelf. Spool of copper are a given need and is figured into the cost to have X number on hand, along with the setup and build time.
cbates55

Postby burnedfingers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:18 pm

My point is you don't make any money when you setup and make say 2 pcs and then go to something else and then go go back and make two more pieces of the first item you made. You have wasted one setup which is X number of hrs and this translates into higher cost. The price of the item would probably be lower by making say 20 of an item and having it sit on the shelf for a month over making 2o of an item by having to setup 8 or 10 times to do it.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:31 pm

burnedfingers wrote: You have wasted one setup which is X number of hrs and this translates into higher cost.

Please tell Mr. Edcor about this. He surely needs help from a
transformer winding expert like you. $) :)) (666)
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby cbates55 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:52 pm

TomMcNally wrote:
burnedfingers wrote: You have wasted one setup which is X number of hrs and this translates into higher cost.

Please tell Mr. Edcor about this. He surely needs help from a
transformer winding expert like you. $) :)) (666)

HAHAHA
cbates55

Postby burnedfingers » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:20 am

Please send your smart comments by email. Your attitude has nothing positive to add to this thread. It seems that whenever you don't like something you have to shoot your mouth off. Another classis example of it. Oh wait! Your a moderator? I'm really impressed now! WOW!

When I was in charge of several departments when I worked in a factory I took their 45-55% productivity and efficiency up to 90-95% daily. Yes, I was an expert when it came to methods and tooling.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:54 am

Simmer down, gents. I'm trying to relax by a pool in Miami. :)

Just in time shipping has really been growing the last decade, and accelerated greatly after 2008. Our leadtimes from all our suppliers has lengthened, and so has ours (at my day job). So I think we will see more and more of this.

On a side note, I've considered writing Edcor and seeing if I could buy a large order that they would warehouse and drop ship. I think this could be promising.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby DeathRex » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 am

Now that's a good idea. Maybe get them to make a project package for a Clementine/Chubby Clementine.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby SteveH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am

separks wrote:On a side note, I've considered writing Edcor and seeing if I could buy a large order that they would warehouse and drop ship. I think this could be promising.

I think you hit the nail on the head (kinda sorta). The reason why Hammond transformers are available is because they have distributors/retail partners...Edcor does not. With Edcor you are purchasing directly from the manufacturer; which keeps the price down but the wait queue up.
If Shannon becomes Edcor's distributor (hehe...) then you can bet that most items would be on hand (assuming that he manages his inventory properly), but you can also assume a 25% or greater price increase.
SteveH
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 am

I know that Eddcor dows produce some of the open-frame style of SE OPTs for some of the small tube amp kit vendors like Decware and perhaps, Bottlehead. So they do have some regularly scheduled low volume production runs.

I used a pair of the Decware/Edcor wire-leaded 9K:16 ohm OPTs, acting as 4500:8 ohm in a 13EM7 SET, and they worked well and sounded quite decent.

These OPTs were available separately from Decware, a few years ago, though at a price well above what Edcor would charge in a direct sale.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby SteveH » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks Ed- I wasn't aware...
SteveH
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:57 pm

SteveH wrote:The reason why Hammond transformers are available is because they have distributors/retail partners...Edcor does not.

And Hammond's "simpler" transformers are all MADE IN CHIAN now, meaning *they* have to take them by the container at a time....

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:05 pm

I was looking at the Tomiko SEs on Ebay, about the same cost as the Edcors, but shipping would be more. I found someone had pictures taken and they are small (they do have dimentions on Ebay). And another had reviewed them saying they lacked bass. Hammond's 125-ESE seems a little bigger and weighs 0.3 pounds more, but costs a little more, and that 100Hz spec is hella scarry.

So for price and quality it's hard to beat Edcor, especially if they shipped in 2 weeks or earlier. I got board, so I've gone on to another project. Hopefully I'll still have some sort of enthusiasm when they come in, in two weeks.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby azazello » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:24 am

DeathRex wrote:I was looking at the Tomiko SEs on Ebay, about the same cost as the Edcors, but shipping would be more. I found someone had pictures taken and they are small (they do have dimentions on Ebay). And another had reviewed them saying they lacked bass. Hammond's 125-ESE seems a little bigger and weighs 0.3 pounds more, but costs a little more, and that 100Hz spec is hella scarry.

So for price and quality it's hard to beat Edcor, especially if they shipped in 2 weeks or earlier. I got board, so I've gone on to another project. Hopefully I'll still have some sort of enthusiasm when they come in, in two weeks.

I use 4 Hammonds 126FSE in my 2A3-RCA and 300B and it keeps 20-20000 Hz, against recomendations 150-15000 (lol) :)) :P I very like Hammods less 100$ (lol) Sound is wonderful!! Few years ago I read that 125FSE is suitable for 2A3, 300B, 6L6, EL34 (lol)
azazello
KT88

PreviousNext

Return to diy hifi