Why can't Edcor ship faster?

the thermionic watercooler

Postby chrish » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Something that was mentioned briefly before by another poster: Made in USA. In this 'Wal Mart' age, many western countries have seen their manufacturing industries gutted by offshoring. I live in Australia, and we are having similar issues to the USA, except the we have a reasonably successful resources sector that is propping the country up. It looks like Edcor is making a product that is competitive on both price and performance. The downside is they don't keep inventory to keep the price competitive. I say support your local industry, realise that the price of having something NOW and cheap is the job of you or your neighbour going overseas, so show a little patience.

My 2c worth,

Regards... ;)
chrish

Postby DeathRex » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:41 am

Mine shipped yesterday, since I'm so close I should get it by Friday.

I've read many posts about Edcor and everyone is happy with their Edcors when they are installed. I've also read on DiyAudio and here about people hesitant about ordering from Edcor because it takes so long. I've only used Edcor's output transformers, and have been happy with them. But if you have one problem with your product that makes people buy other products, it would be in your best interest to fix that problem to sell more product.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Re: Why can't Edcor ship faster?

Postby lordraptor1 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:20 am

glad i ran across this post in my search, looks like i will NOT be ordering any edcor transformers. 4 to 5 weeks is crap when there are dozens of other manufacturers out there that have pt, ot, and chokes for jtm 45 style amps and they keep them in stock. having to wait 4 to 5 weeks is crazy.

with that being said if they sell teh pt for 30, ot for 30, and choke for 10 then it MIGHT be worth the 4 to 5 week wait otherwise HELLZ NO.
lordraptor1

Postby DeathRex » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:09 am

I usually order right after I have a schematic and right before I start making the chassis. If it's an easy chassis, then I finish and then wait for the transformers. This last one, I got the transformers about 2 months before I finished the chassis, so all was good.

If you have an idea for a amp, you can order the parts from mouser along with a chassis and get it all in a week, put your parts in over the weekend and then wait 2 to 3 weeks for the transformers. Waiting is the killer, you can wait so long that you can get tired of the project. I did.

Probably be best to come up with a schematic, order the transformers, and then spend 2 weeks perfecting the schematic. Try something different. Search particulars on your schematic here and DiyAudio. Come up with a better, different, or prettier chassis.

I'm cursed, as I cannot pay more for something, than it is worth. As Edcors are cheaper than Hammonds and about as good or better, I cannot by a Hammond. If Hammonds do come down in price, I still won't buy any, because I'm sure they would have moved the rest of their production to China.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:25 am

lordraptor1 wrote:with that being said if they sell teh pt for 30, ot for 30, and choke for 10 then it MIGHT be worth the 4 to 5 week wait otherwise HELLZ NO.

Probably can get a PT for $40-50. The GXSE 10 watt is $27. XC63-1H-200mA choke is $19.74.
With Hammond, you might could use their guitar output transformer, but I don't know the frequency response. The 1628SEA is $130+ and way overkill for a 45. The 125DSE might work, the frequency response is poor, and it's $50.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Geek » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:43 pm

lordraptor1 wrote:glad i ran across this post in my search, looks like i will NOT be ordering any edcor transformers. 4 to 5 weeks is crap when there are dozens of other manufacturers out there that have pt, ot, and chokes for jtm 45 style amps and they keep them in stock. having to wait 4 to 5 weeks is crazy.

with that being said if they sell teh pt for 30, ot for 30, and choke for 10 then it MIGHT be worth the 4 to 5 week wait otherwise HELLZ NO.

Audio is like food... get it yesterday of you want McDonalds quality. Want a gourmet meal? You're gonna have to wait! ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby REALab » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:13 am

My guess is that they work on a production cycle; i.e. they work on CXSE25-8-10K's when they've accumulated enough orders for them to warrant setting up and running x number of them, then when they've got enough GXPP10-4-5K's to do, they do those.
Tooling changes are an inefficient use of time and can cost a small company money they can't afford to lose, as does keeping excess inventory (as others have pointed out). I'm sure the idea is to keep cash flow as fluid as possible. Heck, it may even be that they can't afford to back-stock inventory yet; (we don't know what their expenses are like. Maybe most of the business' profit is still going toward buying the building, or being able to order supplies in larger quantities to improve margin, or to buy an extra winding machine or hire another worker.)

Who knows? Maybe someday they will start to work on decreasing lead time (but they can't until some loans get paid off). Again, we don't know.

I guess I'm just saying it's not fair to judge unless we have all the facts.
It'd be one thing if they promised "Quick turnaround" and then took four to five weeks, but they explicitly state that it'll take that long. (If it's a problem for you, don't order from them).

FWIW, I have found one exception (to the long turnaround): I ordered some 600Ω to 10K line output transformers and got them in ten days! (No idea why, but...)
REALab

Postby Geek » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:38 pm

REALab wrote:FWIW, I have found one exception (to the long turnaround): I ordered some 600Ω to 10K line output transformers and got them in ten days! (No idea why, but...)

Same here. Also for a little GXSE I ordered. Apparently it was an exchange (customer goofed) and they had 'em on hand (y)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:44 am

I got some WSM 10K/600 in just a few days. If its really something you want then its worth the wait. I would assume they are a small business and as such they probably won't stop a production run just to tool up to run one particular transformer or a pair for that matter. Given the popularity of their products I would assume they use a standard rotation in which they produce specific models and go down the list and maybe one day pops up in which the small orders for ones and two's is given priority. It would make far more sense to make say 50 of a model and then go to a different model instead of making one of this model and one of that. Thus the wait. Whatever their doing their making good transformers at an affordable price so that in itself is worth something.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby coop402 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:39 am

Edcor is an interesting company. Their prices are very good and their products are excellent.
I would guess that I am probably one of the most impatient people on this board! (lol)
It makes me crazy waiting a month for their stuff. But I keep doing it!

Things are very competitive in all forms of production. I work for the one of the worlds largest print/media companies doing automation programming/workflow.

I can tell you this much, if it could be made cheaper, better and faster, somebody is working on it right now! Niche production, or not. Everyone is fighting for the all mighty dollar right, as we speak. Edcor has had this business model as long as I remember. I don't see anyone in their league as far as price and performance.

Whatever Edcor is doing I seem to keep coming back to them. Do I want my stuff faster? Always. LOL
coop402

Postby Poppa Fuse » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:02 am

I've placed four Edcor orders. Each took over a month to be shipped. Every time I received high quality transformers that were a great value. I plan on ordering from them again. They tell you right up front that there will be a wait.
Poppa Fuse

Previous

Return to diy hifi