Advanced Snake Oil

the thermionic watercooler

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:08 am

"God Jul & Gott Nytt År"

The temperature was just above freezing pont. We seldom get this weather, though we have the lake next to us. And no traffic jam, on rare occassions like during the Spring and Autumn markets, it's difficult to drive throigh the center without killing 50-60 people ....

Talking of wich. What's i like with the swine flu over there?Here in Sweden major changes has been made, starting with children's books:

Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

pearls before swine

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:06 am

The "swine flu" seems to be more of a media maelstrom than an epidemic.
True, there have been a couple thousand fatalities, mostly of those who have other underlying major medical issues. Mostly affects those under 30, as they don't have built in immunity. The regular winter seasonal flu is far worse, it claims 35 to 40 thousand per average year.

If you are taking any immunosuppressive medication for the pacemaker, just be extra careful, as your built in safeguards can be weakend.

Just like the previous "swine flu" back in 1976, this is more smoke than fire, around here.

I caught that flu in early November, it lasted about ten days, and really wasn't too bad overall. Headache, low fever, body aches, and lower GI tract problems (as in having a case of the "runs" which kept me on a short leash from the bathroom, and lots of "gas"). I've had worse colds - and hangovers...

I have another funny swine flu cartoon, but it is too much "R" or "X" rated for posting here.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:12 am

Same here. People with serious heart deceases, diabetes, kidney problems, terminal illness of cancer etc are those that have died here.
The evening press hower write every second day how stupid those are who refuse to get the vaccine and about the victims of the fle.
Every other second day they write lots about the dangers of the vaccine - well a person with a transpalnted heart died a few days ago. ...

Where did the smileys go?
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 am

The availability of the H1N1 vaccine is also rather limited, and in my own case, iit s a rather moot point, as I have already been "vaccinated" by nature.

THere are many reports of cases where the vaccine was far worse than the disease.

THe most susceptible are those with HIV / AIDs, and those undergoing chemo-therapy, aas well as organ transplant recipients s they immune systems are already compromised.

Last time I took a flu shot was about 8 years ago, and guess what, I stilll caught the flu - which I normally never get. Live and learn...

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Guess the number of snakes in the culvert ?

Postby EWBrown » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 am

Speaking of having a "pit to hiss in"....

This is a somewhat rmore sinister version of "guess the number of jellybeans in the glass jar". However, it is definitely not a very good idea to reach in and try to pul lthem out...

For those with a herpetilogical bent, these are Mojave Rattlesnakes, and the location is in Califirnia:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/news/newsbytes/te ... tlers.html

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 am

I came to think of the song Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" by Pink Floyd. But theu ain't furry ...
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:05 pm

i imagine there would be a few poisonous serpents in Caroline too
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:18 pm

There are, two types around these parts, Timber Rattlers and Copperheads, both fairly prevalent. Go further east / south and the quantity and quality of "hot"species expands considerably.

A little sidetracking here:

FWIW, it isn't all that widely known, but all species of Hognose Snakes are mildly venomous. Firstly, they are not aggressive, except that they can put on an impressive display of mock ferocity, hissing loudly, and striking repeatedly - with a closed mouth. . If all of tthat fails, they simply go on to plan B: Play Dead. If you try to flip them right side up, they'll just turn over and play dead again. And again... In general, most will not attempt to bite, and most can't be made to bite during these displays.

However, after they are kept as pets, and they can develop quite the strong "feeding response", in that anything within reach and seemingly small enough to be swallowed, will be struck and chewed. On rare occasions, this can include human fingers and thumbs, especially if they have just been handling the snake's food. I haven't experienced this, but I know of more than one snake-keeper who has.

The "fangs" (actually enlarged, grooved, rear teeth) are located in the rear of the mouth, and they can deliver a mildly toxic, (not dangerous to humans) venom, which can cause some swelling and minor pain, and in sensitive individuals, a mild allergic reaction which can cause a general "nervous" feeling (the venom contains adrenaline-like substances) which can last a day or two, but there are no long term harmful effects. This venom is most effective on their main prey item, toads.

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:52 am

Enough!! Enough!! Enough!! Enough!! Enough!! Enough!!

(Shouts a man with serious snakofobia)
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:36 am

Just one more, just for good measure (all six feet of it)

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:46 am

D*rn! I My pacemaker battery is running low ...
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:21 pm

You might need to connect to that 829B amp to recharge it ;) :)) =:o

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:06 am

Here's the Xmas Snake Oil ...

(It's a smoked eel it it is OILY ....)

Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby Geek » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:52 pm

Smoked eel! *drools*

Mmmm, reminds me of my favorite lunch - Danish bread, cod roe, Danish pickles and smoked eel ^_^

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:31 am

merry christmas, soundbrigade. nice pics; i've only had eel on sushi and i don't like it(too "fishy"!)
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

PreviousNext

Return to diy hifi