Cable break-in???

the thermionic watercooler

Cable break-in???

Postby snitch56 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:22 pm

I see Jim Hagerman has a line of products focused on “cable break-in”. Has anyone tried the technique?
Normally I would just classify it as “snake oil”, but since Hagerman Technology is a respectable company I am not sure what to think.
http://www.haglabs.com/frykleaner.html
http://www.hagtech.com/frybaby.html
snitch56

Postby mesherm » Tue May 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Car manufacturers make big SUVs because thats what people buy.
Even reputable companies like to make a profit and no one is twisting anyone's arm to buy a cable conditioner. People buy "Brilliant Pebbles" and "Clever Little Clocks" because they think it improves the sound. I personally think NOS tubes sound better than new ones. Who's to judge the truth of it all?
Last edited by mesherm on Wed May 21, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Huile de Serpent Pur

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 21, 2008 5:18 am

Just another expensive useless gadget... Even reputable companies sell useless widgets intended to fleece the unwary consumer. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

If one really needed to "break in" a cable just feed 6.3 VAC from a filament transformer into it., while singing the words of
"In-a-gadda-da-vida" backwards in Klingonese Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Otherwise just feed a signal through it and as the coupling caps, OPTs and speakers actually "break in" so will the input cable, in a mysterious and magical method... Just like with Jeremiah Peabody's Pink and Purple Polyunsaturated Pills, the placebo effect can work wonders. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Hello!

Postby RobertWStephens » Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 am

I built the Frycleaner Pro from Hagerman. I sold my unit after 6 months. Spend your money on some music or good tubes instead! Peace. Robert
RobertWStephens

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 am

You can get the same effect by just hooking the cables up to a CD player and then just playing a CD on "forever loop" mode into the cables, and you don't even have to listen to "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" or "The Chicken Dance" for 4, 875 times... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 :o

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby erichayes » Wed May 21, 2008 9:57 pm

I hate to be the picker of nits, Ed, but it was "Jeremiah Peabody's Polyunsaturated, Quick Dissolving, Fast acting, Pleasant Tasting Green and Purple Pills."
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Today, it's the "little blue pill"....

Postby EWBrown » Thu May 22, 2008 5:16 am

They say the memory is the second thing to go, and I forgot what the first thing was... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

Watchout, you might get assigned the title of "Official Picker of Nits" if Shannon is watching Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

In about another week (May 29-30) I will be going "off line" for a while, as the move down to NC commences. My home PC is pretty much SNAFU (It's only dial-up, anyway) and I don't yet have an internet connection in NC, but there are many to shoose from. I'll try to pop in as time and connections allow...

Stay tuned....

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Sat May 24, 2008 10:42 pm

....file under "Snakeoil": i'm sure einstein and the other manhattan project quantum physicists would have figured out "audio signal conductor break in phenomenon" back in the '30s, if such a thing existed, theoretically or materially.
i could maybe see electrical conductors being more efficient under cryogenic conditions, but not to the point of making audio sound appreciably better to the human ear. it certainly wouldn't be practical- but hey, neither are $1700 tubes, to me. its just music, after all. you know, like, fun...?... remember?...fun...?...like, "hee hee", or, "whooee".......?
nyazzip
KT88

Return to diy hifi