Lynyrd Skynyrd never dreamed of this one...

the thermionic watercooler

Lynyrd Skynyrd never dreamed of this one...

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 07, 2008 6:52 am

Сладостная Домашня Алабама

(Sweet Home Alabama) as performed by the Leningrad Cowboys and the Red Army Choir

Or Lynyrd Meets Lenin...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNFRLrP014

/ed B (this is just a Cyrillic alpha test)
Last edited by EWBrown on Mon May 12, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Kojak » Sun May 11, 2008 8:24 pm

Where in the world did this crew come from? Not a bad performance at all and easy on the ears, but a little hard on the eyes Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 . Maybe I have been living in a cave, but I had not heard of them.

Thanks for the post, definitely entertaining!
Kojak

Postby Kojak » Sun May 11, 2008 8:39 pm

OK- Looking at more of their stuff, Ring of Fire was not quite this Nashville guy's cup of tea. However, definitely a hoot.
Kojak

Postby EWBrown » Mon May 12, 2008 7:48 am

I remember seeing them on TV several years ago, maybe 10-12 years at that. The sound track on the U-tube sounds different, the vocals don't sound as "phoneticized" and choppy as I remember them being.

IIRC, the Leningrad Cowboys are from Finland, and the Red Army Choir is 100% pure Soviet Union, just like 6P14P-EVs and GM-70s.

Back then "Сладостная Домашня Алабама" (Spadostnaya Domashnya Alabama) sounded more like "sveet home a-lah-bah-mah"

Like Abba did, they can sing quite well in "English", without actually understanding the lyrics. Same goes the other way around, I know a couple of neat sounding Russian songs, but I don't know much of what the lyrics really mean... I can pick out a few words, and hopefully there are no "dirty" words in them :o

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue May 13, 2008 11:25 am

EWBrown wrote:
Like Abba did, they can sing quite well in "English", without actually understanding the lyrics. Same goes the other way around, I know a couple of neat sounding Russian songs, but I don't know much of what the lyrics really mean... I can pick out a few words, and hopefully there are no "dirty" words in them :o

/ed B

Well at least some members of ABBA knew English. FWIW. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue May 13, 2008 2:55 pm

EWBrown wrote:Like Abba did, they can sing quite well in "English", without actually understanding the lyrics. Same goes the other way around, I know a couple of neat sounding Russian songs, but I don't know much of what the lyrics really mean... I can pick out a few words, and hopefully there are no "dirty" words in them :o

/ed B

Ed,

Your mention of ABBA made me play a live album of theirs on my 2Ae and the LaScalas. I never did before thinking for some reason that it would not sound as good on them.

I am now listening to the album with the PAS driving the 2A3 and it sounds very good. I hear more detail than I do on the B&O speakers.

Just my humble ramblings... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09
Slartibartfast
KT88

And ZZ Top never imagined this one...

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 14, 2008 10:05 am

Billy Gibbons is having heartburn right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYpYoTE ... re=related

and it isn't being caused by too much "Texas Red" and Too many Lone Star "Longnecks", either...

Seems like they listen to "Weird Al Yankovich", too.....

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

turtles' turds

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am

And then we can all be "Happy Together" as only the LC&RAC can do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLv8uB3h ... re=related

WIth Boris Badenov on vocals ? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Thu May 15, 2008 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TomMcNally » Wed May 14, 2008 1:44 pm

The actor who did the voice of Boris Badenov was Paul Frees ... he did some station break announcements for a station I work for back in the early 80's ... after one of them on the tape he said "ohhhh ... I like the way I said that" and it sounded so cool they used it on the air. Keeping on topic ... David Hafler was a partner in the ownership of the station. I wish I worked there then. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_17

Here's a ton of other voices and acting roles he did:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0293659/
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby EWBrown » Thu May 15, 2008 6:04 am

IIRC, Frank Zappa originally wrote, but never performed "Happy Together" ?

The Turtles, including Flo & Eddie, and Frank Zappa (and The Mothers of Invention), Ainsley Dunbar, Captain Beefheart and even Jean Luc Ponty have had connections and associations in their past, and some of these probably still go on

Speaking of ABBA, in the early 1980s, when I was employed by Digital Equipment Corporation (AKA DEC), I worked on a project named "IVIS" (Instructional Video for Individual Students) which more or less resembled a "fully grown" Commodore C-64 built to indiustrial strength and quality, which interfaced with a Video Disc player, and connected to a standard NTSC TV or color monitor.

Since the actual instructional discs hadn't yet been developed, we used commercially available video discs for testing the systems, and the one most often played was an ABBA live concert, which got played so (bleeping) often that the mere mention of ABBA usually caused assorted strong anaphylactic allergic reactions, like projectile vomiting, breaking out in hives, or temporary insanity Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby DerekVa » Thu May 15, 2008 1:10 pm

EWBrown wrote:Since the actual instructional discs hadn't yet been developed, we used commercially available video discs for testing the systems, and the one most often played was an ABBA live concert, which got played so (bleeping) often that the mere mention of ABBA usually caused assorted strong anaphylactic allergic reactions, like projectile vomiting, breaking out in hives, or temporary insanity Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

/ed B

Gee, Ed, did you send out an S.O.S.? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

-D
DerekVa

Postby Slartibartfast » Thu May 15, 2008 1:50 pm

DerekVa wrote:Gee, Ed, did you send out an S.O.S.? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

-D

No, and thus it became his Waterloo...
Slartibartfast
KT88

the long version....

Postby EWBrown » Tue May 20, 2008 11:09 am

I think I needed an SOS pad to clean off my eardrums after too much ABBA... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_29

At least it wasn't Darryl Dragon and Toni Tenille, AKA Captain and TEnille, doing their worst to "Muskrat Love", the all time worst "pop" song ever, so bad that it was done by three different "artists"...

Now, here's the "full length" version of Sweet Home Alabama by the LC&RAC, all 4 minutes and 37 seconds of it, from a different performance. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuFJoex ... re=related

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to diy hifi