Jackie Wayne Smith, RIP

the thermionic watercooler

Jackie Wayne Smith, RIP

Postby erichayes » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:21 am

My friend and somewhat mentor, Jack Smith, succumbed to a rare blood disease on April 24. He contributed greatly to the Fender Electric (later known as Fender Musical) Instrument Company's success during the early 1960s through the mid '70s. He worked with Harold Rhodes in developing the Fender-Rhodes piano, and was instrumental (pardon the pun) in the company's transition to CBS' ownership--he fought to keep the Fender name untarnished. Any of you guys who have a black-face or early silver face amps probably have Jack's fingerprints on it.

He was an irascible old fart, but he taught me patience in troubleshooting--a gift I try to pass on to other tube freaks.

My love and sympathy go out to his widow, Karen.

And, believe me, I'm feeling as if I have a technical and emotional flat tire right now, with no road service in sight.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:01 am

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Eric.

Here is a little history I found online:

http://westcoasttubeworks.com/History.htm

Eric said:
he taught me patience in troubleshooting--a gift I try to pass on to other tube freaks

I know I've learned a lot from you, and lots of the guys on here enjoy helping others and passing on what experience has taught us.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Return to diy hifi