H. H. Scott and Fisher

the thermionic watercooler

Postby tentoes » Sun May 18, 2008 9:34 pm

Hey SDS-Page,

How did the Scott amp turn out?

I'm going over my Scott 299A (which looks like a B) right now. I haven't touched it in a few years. I recapped the output tubes, phase spliters and power supply about 8 years back. I'm finally changing the coupling caps on the 12AX7s now. Hopefully that cures the intermittant pops this amp has been spitting out. I just scored a set of 8 Reflector 6P14P-EV (Russian 7189) off Ebay. These should last me for a while.

I pulled some 12AX7s from an old HP gas chromatrograph years back. These were a mixture of Dutch Ampex and Un-named W. German tubes.

Sometimes we do luck out.
tentoes

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sun May 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi tentoes,

I have been building VTA SP-6 preamp and ST-35 for a friend in my spare time and I have not had a chance to look at my Scott yet. I do have all the parts though. I am replacing all PS caps as well as all of signal caps. I am going with Auricaps for coupling caps.

Wow, I didn't know old GCs had tubes in them! One of the labs in my dept was throwing away Varian GCs a year back, and only useful things that I could salvage were some 180,000 uF 40 vdc can caps. They were a modern GC with chips.

Will keep you posted. -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby tentoes » Sun May 18, 2008 11:36 pm

A lot of analytical devices were tube design well into the 60's. I recall tossing a solid state Varian GC in the dumpster that dated back to the late 50's - early 60's. Not much worth scavaging on that. We junked an old Toshiba TEM in the early 80's. That had racks of large power tubes. That moster took up an whole room. I regret not pulling some of those bulbs.

TT
tentoes

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Had some spare time this evening, so I finished recapping job on the Scott:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_i08-ibvZ150/SDJURxw8wvI/AAAAAAAAA7U/xSK23aEF_vE/s1600-h/S5033270.JPG

http://bp0.blogger.com/_i08-ibvZ150/SDJUSBw8wwI/AAAAAAAAA7c/qUXKX6NN5hY/s1600-h/S5033271.JPG

While I was working on the amp, I found that one of the lugs on terminal strips was not soldered! It had like three resistors and a cap loosely twisted on it. Looks like the original builder totally forgot about it. Who knows how long the amp has been operational as such. Good thing I decided to recap.

I used to get statics touchingd the old can cap, but that's solved with the new can cap installed. The amp sounds very good. It sounds nearly as good as my WE91A. One thing I notice most about how the amp sounds is that it is very mellow, with no trace of harshness. Maybe it's the characterstic of old Teleys? Whatever it is, I am loving it. -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby tentoes » Tue May 20, 2008 9:04 pm

Nice work. The LK48 wiring is better laid out than the 'rats nest' in my 299.

They are nice, warm sounding amps. If you like vinyl, you'll love the phono section. I had an Technics direct drive turntable with a Shure V15-IV that was a joy to listen to on my little Scott.
tentoes

Postby crispycircuit » Thu May 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Nice pics... And what a clean unit! I've found that Auri caps lack extented top end and extented bottom end. I had put some in a Pilot 6bq5 stereo amp completely reworked and wasn't happy till I took them out. Plus the Tele's tend to have the same smooth top end....... However, I realize it's all personal taste and what the system does as a whole..... But I was really impressed with the condition of your Scott and the deal you found. Great stuff!
crispycircuit

Postby SDS-PAGE » Fri May 23, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks, I definitely lucked out with this one. I would have been just as content with the condition of the unit, but those tubes were surely a pleasant surprise. Beside Teleys, it also came with all the original documents including assembly instructions in color. Plus, the original builder did a great job (except for the missing solder joint) in putting the amp together. I am also quite happy with how things turned out after the recapping job. I am particularly impressed with the phono section.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Previous

Return to diy hifi