Transformer Potting cases

the thermionic watercooler

Transformer Potting cases

Postby jeffdavison » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:08 pm

Anyone have any leads as to where some may be found?

I'm looking for one for my toroid of 5.75" diameter.

Thanks!

Jeff D.
jeffdavison

Postby kheper » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:28 pm

You may be able to find some cake pans at a hardware or department store with those dimensions.
kheper
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Hi,

Got an east Indian store in town? They have shiny stainless pans and stuff that may fit the bill.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby jeffdavison » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:34 pm

What is an East India Store?

Tries to do a web search but got nothing reltive to the topic

JD

Geek wrote:Hi,

Got an east Indian store in town? They have shiny stainless pans and stuff that may fit the bill.

Cheers!
jeffdavison

Postby Geek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:04 pm

You are kidding, right? :o

An ethnic store run by people from India. They import stuff, mostly spices and vegetables, but also inexpensive stainless goods that's on par with high-end department stores for quality.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby jeffdavison » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Nope, not kidding.... Remember seeing one in Toronto about 10 years ago kiddy corner from the Green Giants' urinal... but none down here in the States.

anyways............ Found a Wilton aluminum cake pan 6" diameter and 3" tall with flat sides for a whole $10. Right on Amazon. Perfect size for my taffo. I'll JBwels some studs to the inside diameter so I can mount it to the chassis. Just have to find some themaly conductive potting material with some mechanical damping/absorbion.. not that toroids buzz, so not to trap heat within the structure

Jeff D..

Geek wrote:You are kidding, right? :o

An ethnic store run by people from India. They import stuff, mostly spices and vegetables, but also inexpensive stainless goods that's on par with high-end department stores for quality.

Cheers!
jeffdavison

Postby Blair » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Hello Jeff,

I was not going to reply because typically the guys here are more tube adept, but I'm an odd bird and look at things everywhere I go for speakers and amps. Target sells a few different sugar containers or salt, flour whatever women do with those things Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02

Anyway, there are several and a few of them are perfect for your application. I'm going to do the same soon when I rebuild my KT88 amplifier. My thoughts are to tap and drill the bolt through the cover and insert the tranny with a few small blocks of wood to keep it off the top part. Your local automotive store sells door edge guard in black. I was going to cover up the cut edge (as you will have to cut it or else waste a lot of epoxy) with the door edge guard and then case the epoxy. Should make you a nice potted toroid with a mounting bolt in the center.

My .02,

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby Geek » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:12 am

Hi,

jeffdavison wrote:Nope, not kidding.... Remember seeing one in Toronto about 10 years ago kiddy corner from the Green Giants' urinal... but none down here in the States.

That's too bad... I think I'd starve without them Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

anyways............ Found a Wilton aluminum cake pan 6" diameter and 3" tall with flat sides for a whole $10. Right on Amazon.

Right on! Hope it works great for you :)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:14 am

Probably any "southeast Asian" store would also have these stainless pots and pans. Some folks at Bottlehead got their "trannie covers" at Ikea, though I've never been to one of those shops, so I can't vouch for what may be available.

The toroid doesn't really have to be "potted" inside the can / shield, but there is a major caveat:

If you do put a metal can / shield over a toroid, be careful not to create a "shorted turn" with the mounting bolt. So the bolt can't penetrate and contact the shield, if the shield is in contact with the chassis. This can and will cause serious electrical problems, real quick... Hopefully, onlu blown fuses, and not worse...) :o

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to diy hifi