How did I do?

the thermionic watercooler

How did I do?

Postby rockable » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:56 pm

I'm a newb here and should have probably posted this here rather than in the ST-70 forum.

Did I do ok? I decided to buy this one and take a chance on the tubes. If they're good, I did pretty well. If not, I did ok.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160229480437&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006
rockable

Postby Sal Brisindi » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:09 pm

I think you did good on the Dynaco ST-70, you paid pretty much the going rate for it, sometimes they are lower priced, other times higher.

I paid that much for my first ST70.

Sal
Sal Brisindi
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:04 pm

You did fine. Congrats!

I paid $75 for mine and it hums like crazy. I still haven't stuffed and installed my DIYtube driver board or my SDS cap board so all things considered I'd say you're ahead of the game.
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Kojak » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:59 am

Hey Rockable-

I'm a fellow Southern Newb on this forum. Just an 'FYI'- last year I bought a couple converted Conn 6L6gc's from that same seller. Other than a couple burnt out (literally) old tube radios and hybrid Vox stuff I have owned, this was my intro to tube audio. Price was right, his descriptions were accurate, everything worked great as stated including all tubes, and the packaging was excellent. You more than likely got a great deal.

I had read that the Conn's and other ol' organ amps were a good way to go for tube audio on the cheap. I went for it and was hooked, which led me to find this excellent forum and a pair of Eiclones. Ikes are almost done...
Kojak

Postby rockable » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback on that seller, Kojak! ( I really look like Kojak these days. I used to look like my avatar. : ) It's always a crap shoot when you buy stuff off ebay. Knowing that he's a good, knowledgeable seller is comforting. I'll let you know what it's like when I get it.
rockable

Postby rockable » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:47 pm

He's not much on communication though, is he Kojak?
rockable

Postby Kojak » Sun May 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Hey, sorry I didn't catch this for a couple weeks. Hopefully by now you are all set with your purchase. As I recall, the guy might take a while to get back to you, but he had good info. Hard to say how every transaction will work out, and people's personal situations can change as well. Hope it worked out well for you...
Kojak

Postby rockable » Sun May 04, 2008 6:56 pm

He was slow and his communications are poor. The amp, however was a pretty nice '60 kit. The EL34's were junk but the 7199s were GE's and tested strong on my Jackson.

I completely disassembled it this weekend and will put in new tube sockets, resistors, caps, etc and do wiring that is to my standard. I plan to put it back to stock ST-70 specs, since this is my first.

I polished up the chassis this weekend and it's got the typical fine pitting but overall, it's not bad. I repainted the trannys and all the wiring seems to be in good shape. The original board is in pretty good shape, too. So, overall I did OK. Not a steal but not a real deal, either. Typical of my first impulsive purchases into a new area. :)

P.S. I now look like Kojak. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16
rockable

Postby rockable » Tue May 13, 2008 7:10 pm

It's a alive and well. After the initial debugging, I'm now turning electricity into heat and squeezing the music out of it!

I've got a NAD 1700 preamp, Large Advent speakers and an old Pioneer laser/disc player and my ipod running through it. It will rock my shop! My wife says it sounds better than the system in our great room and I agree.

Time to work on the great room system! : )
rockable

Postby Sal Brisindi » Wed May 14, 2008 6:24 am

Pictures, we want to see pictures, many of them of your restoration!!! :)

Sal Brisindi
Sal Brisindi
KT88

Return to diy hifi