more snake oil

the thermionic watercooler

more snake oil

Postby nyazzip » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:50 pm

even i can detect BS when it gets heavy enough. check out this "cryogenic process" used to inflate the prices of vacuum tubes here https://www.tubeworld.com/kuhltube.htm#

some highlights: "By means of this unique and vital process, the stresses interior to the materials of the tube are substantially and permanently relaxed. The "Q" of the (self) resonant (electro) mechanical systems responsible for the output of (self) microphonic spuriae is thereby drastically reduced. By this important reduction, both the peak amplitude and the "ring down" time of these systems is reduced with the result that the "apparent gain" of the tube is increased - even in feedback controlled circuits - while the "dynamic noise floor" is lowered.

The sonic improvements of a over a "factory condition" NOS tube include:

tighter focus from top to bottom
more holographic 3D soundstage
more subtle inner resolution extracted from recordings
tighter bass
increased dynamic range
faster transient response
clearer vocals"
nyazzip
KT88

Postby DerekVa » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:42 pm

Ummm...yeah.

<cough>bullsh*t</cough>

-D
DerekVa

Postby Geek » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:29 pm

I've listened to cryo'd tubes before and while I have noticed a different sound (really clean things up in an ECL86 for instance), all the marketing BS that's around them is just that... BS.

The cryo'd tubes my wholesaler offers for guitar are only $5-$10 more than regular too, not the hundred+ HiFi people seem willing to pay Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_20

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:12 pm

I know, lets put some frozen tubes on a spectrum analyser and measure how many percent more wonderful they are. These tubes are 6.5% more wonderful but those tubes are only 3.47% more wonderful or something like that.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby rockable » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:57 pm

That guy is so full of it.....his eyes are brown. My first reaction was the same as Derek's.
rockable

The BS-o-meter is pegged.....

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 07, 2008 6:32 am

Ditto:

If one needs cryo'ed tubes, just stick 'em in the freezer next to the Otter Pops and Fish sticks for a few days... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby sorenj07 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:25 am

oh man, I haven't had fish sticks since I was about 8 years old. those were the days.
sorenj07
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed May 07, 2008 10:02 am

Fish Sticks (they had to be Gorton's) and Tater Tots, the stuff of life Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

Sushi didn't exist back then, at least as far as I knew... When I was 8, it was 1957, and things were a lot different back then. Those days, fish either came out of a pond, or out of a frozen blue and yellow box Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01

Fish sticks are to fish, what hot dogs are to meat :o

Did I mention Sushi ? How's this one, with an extra little tasty tidbit, thrown in at no extra cost: (look around the twelve o'clock position)

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Slartibartfast » Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 am

EWBrown wrote:
Did I mention Sushi ? How's this one, with an extra little tasty tidbit, thrown in at no extra cost: (look around the twelve o'clock position)

/ed B

rodent, ummm...
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby Brik » Wed May 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
EWBrown wrote:

/ed B

rodent, ummm...

Someone must have ordered a "white tail" instead of a yellowtail. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08
/b
Brik

Postby sorenj07 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 pm

it's been too long since I've had good sushi. seems like they're sneaking avocado into everything these days. what's wrong with some nice, crunchy, refreshing cucumber?
sorenj07
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 am

From what I've been told by folks who travelled over in Asia, that the Sushui and Sashimi, Nuori (sp?) and other similar dishes are a LOT better quality, and the fish is a LOT fresher, than the versions sold in the USA.

Small rodents available at slight additional cost Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

/ed B (who still likes my fish cooked to some degree)
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Thu May 08, 2008 10:40 am

Back to Fishfing... topic I mean.

One thing that makes me so surprised is that some processes must for G*d's sake work in the reverse way.
When a cable (do you say "laying a cable" when doing a big job in men's room?) or a tube or a capacitor is cooled down something magical happens, but when I heat it up something antimagical must happen too, I mean.

If "burning in cables" does some magical tricks to the cable that gives good sound, how come "burning in cables" don't do anti-magical tricks that makes cables sound worse.

If you burn in LPs by playing them repeatedly they tend to sound worse ...
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Thu May 08, 2008 11:22 am

sorenj07 wrote:seems like they're sneaking avocado into everything these days. what's wrong with some nice, crunchy, refreshing cucumber?

Not enough fat in the cucumber?
Ty_Bower
KT88

Burned In or Burnt Out ?

Postby EWBrown » Mon May 12, 2008 7:35 am

Caps and OPTs may need "burning in", but it is just plain ridiculous to apply the concept to every part of a sound system...

If a capacitor is "burned in" by prolonged usage, why are some folks (primarily snake oil vendors and their cooperative audiophool customers) seemingly "burned out" by an excessive usage of certain "recreational substances" Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08

Perhaps a sonic improvement of those "smart pebbles" could be realized by replacing them with Coprolites. Go ahead, look it up Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Next

Return to diy hifi