the thermionic watercooler

Postby DerekVa » Fri May 16, 2008 2:21 pm

Well, while we're at it:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/Index/hi-fi_tuning.html

Con-Fused? I am.
DerekVa

Postby TomMcNally » Fri May 16, 2008 2:46 pm

From Mouser ...

Same ceramic fuse without the gold ends !

BK/ABC-1-1/2
Cooper/Bussmann Ceramic 1/4 x 1-1/4 Fast Acting Fuses 250VAC/125VDC 1.5A Fast Acting Ceramic Data Sheet In Stock

1: $0.83
25: $0.73
50: $0.67
100: $0.63
250: View
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby joeriz » Fri May 16, 2008 7:13 pm

One more reason to love this forum...

This thread is now on its second page and not ONE audiophool has posted to say "...but if you haven't listened to these things in your system, you don't know what you're talking about". Good grief!

At least there's one corner of the audio-related internet where some semblance of sanity seems to prevail. :)

Joe
joeriz

Postby erichayes » Fri May 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi All,

I can type again! What I thought was Carpal Tunnel turned out to be a really nasty mutant version of gout. Nice to be back.

So let's review . . . These fuses have silver elements and silver end caps. The element part is moot, as its job is to open up when the current capacity is exceeded, regardless of material. The end caps, however, are another story. Silver is the metal with the highest conductivity of all. Period. Copper is second, followed by gold and aluminum.

Plating the silver end cap with copper does what? (Please, not the same hands.) And plating the copper plating with gold accomplishes what?

The problem with silver, as Tom pointed out in another thread somewhere, is that it tarnishes. That's why it usually isn't used as an interconnect material in an air environment. Copper is also subject to oxidation, which is why it's normally plated with tin or nickel. Gold is a noble metal, meaning it doesn't oxidize in any environment. It definitely has its place in digital circuitry, where things are either on or off--assuming the signal strength is sufficient to overcome the clock speed. In analog, gold offers no advantage over other materials/alloys normally used. And in a single frequency (50 or 60~) application such as a line fuse . . . draw your own conclusions.

pcX isn't going to get any business from me.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Welcome Back Eric

Postby Vince » Sat May 17, 2008 12:00 pm

You sure have had a lot of bad luck with medical issues!!
Hope it straightens out for you.
Vince
Vince

Postby DerekVa » Sat May 17, 2008 6:24 pm

erichayes wrote:pcX isn't going to get any business from me.

To be fair, others (Michael Percy Audio, etc.) are also selling the same thing. And pcX is one of the few places other than Angela where you can still find Riken Ohm and Allen Bradley resistors.

But, yeah. WTF are they thinking?

-D
DerekVa

Postby joeriz » Sun May 18, 2008 6:41 am

Here's another one...

"The Bybee Bullets; a secret mixture of 14-carat gold, quantum mechanics and newly adopted Nano-tube technology..."

"MSRP is $4200 per set."

http://www.bybeeconnection.com/FeaturedProducts.asp

Joe
joeriz

Postby mesherm » Sun May 18, 2008 7:24 am

The Bybee Bullets; a secret mixture of 14-carat gold, quantum mechanics and newly adopted Nano-tube technology..."

"MSRP is $4200 per set."

Interesting that they need a 200 hour break-in period.
I wonder if that's to help distribute the gold atoms throughout the nanotubes for optimum quantum noise reduction?
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Previous

Return to diy hifi