Painting trainsformers and chassis

the thermionic watercooler

Painting trainsformers and chassis

Postby hembrook » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:07 am

Several of you guys make excellent painted chassis and end bells, etc.

I have some PTs and OTs that have the standard yellow chromate with a clearcoat on them. Not super pretty. I wanted to know what process you guys (gals?) use to prettify these components to make things look nicer.

Some of my Japanese transformers have a nice black powdercoat on them.

I suppose I could get some Hammerite and a brush, it seems to work on Locost 7s.

The Hammerite guys do have a neat electrostatic painting tool now for their paints: http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps ... aster.html

Their hammered green is oh so nostalgic for me. Maybve I'll get a can of blue too.

Cool.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
hembrook

Postby Geek » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi,

I use el-cheapo RONA brand primer (sticks to anything and seems immune to lifting from aluminum oxides) then use a laquer coat (3 coats) for color and three gloss enamel top coats.

Auto paints do good over the primer too, but require longer drying time and the high humidity/low temps at night of the west coast of BC will ruin it in all but peak summer.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Good advice

Postby hembrook » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:43 am

Less worries about humidity in Germany, but getting good flowout is always an issue. I'll look into things. Anything special about masking off complete transformers, I would not want solvents getting into the windings and ruining the laquer.
hembrook

Return to diy hifi