"JE 2A3 v2.0" or "ST-2A3"

the thermionic watercooler

"JE 2A3 v2.0" or "ST-2A3"

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:19 pm

I think I will go with the latter...

Here is my ST-2A3 so far:

The PT will sit where the Dynaco PT resided and the choke will be mounted on the plate where the driver board was. The RCA inputs will be mounted in the front socket holes.

The Hammond OPTs will not match up to any of the screw holes already in the chassis, so I made these raised plates to accommodate them and later on a pair of James OPTs.

Last edited by Slartibartfast on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:59 pm

What's the difference between the two? You are using the same schematic, right? The "ST-2A3" looks cool. Great idea! -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:What's the difference between the two? You are using the same schematic, right? The "ST-2A3" looks cool. Great idea! -Min

The reason for doing this is, I did not like the way the hammond chassis turned out on the first one I built. I had an empty Dynaco chassis ans decided to do it right.

I also saw Joseph's SRPP 2A3 circuit and thought I would try that, and hear the difference for my self.

Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:41 am

FWIW, I found that the Transcendar 15 watt, 3K primary SE OPTs fit the mounting holes on the ST-70 chassis perfectly. The power trannie that I salvaged out of a half-stripped Magnavox console receiver also fit the PA-060 mounting perfectly.

I am still in the same "suspended animation" stage of completing that amp (AKA the 300B SET on an ST-70 Chassis) . It's still in the same state of incompletion as when I showed it to Shannon last July 4th. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 PSU and power stages completed, just a bit gaping hole in the center front top of the chassis Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02

It's circuit diagram is quite similar to the one shown above, 12AX7 driver and somewhat higher B+ voltages to accomodate the Sovtek 300Bs.

I made the misteak of believing the AES statement that the turret board that I used for the SRPP driver stage was dimensioned to match the ST70 driver board cutout. It isn't .... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

I could "make it fit", but then it would look like a Homer Simpson (on his third 6 pack of Duff) DIY project Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 :o

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TerrySmith » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:28 am

Maybe to fill the driver board hole you could make a serious cap-board out of a blank PCB. But my PCB makin' skills are not good.

One time I etched all the copper off, drilled it for snap-in caps and hard wired it underneath.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:58 am

I already built up the SRPP driver board (actually two of them) even before I got my hands on the chassis...

I can make an adapter plate, just ned some motivation :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

The PSU and power stages test good - of course I haven't yet connected the driver board, so that part of the test is in the future.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to diy hifi