AudioKarma/Asylum plinker research revealed

the thermionic watercooler

AudioKarma/Asylum plinker research revealed

Postby wiredbecker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Thought Ed Brown would enjoy this thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=147617
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:51 am

THanks for the link! Some interesting items there... I have seen the little c3m tube in other designs, and have heard good and bad about it..

The EL38 / EL39s look interesting as an alternative to 6BG6s, 807s and 1625s.

The EF40 looks interesting but I'd wager the sockets with the guide key may be about hard to find as real GM70 sockets. Perhaps Uncle Ned has brought some back from the hedgehog, chavs and garden-slug infested warehouse in Jolly Olde England Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11

Right now I am considering going into "semi-retirement" mode, and the big move south, so some of my priorities may have to be re-adjusted for a while until the transition is complete, more later on that as things develop...

/ed B in NH / NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TerrySmith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 am

Hey Ed, the high yesterday was in the 70's! Hows the weather up nawth?
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:59 am

Its a frozen wasteland.... It's around 35and drizzly (drismal and clousy day, typical of this l-o-n-g season) , heading downwards, so yet again more snow ice, and ither (censored words).... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 :o

I've finally reached the "tipping point" with NE winters, and having this multi-week long "mutant martian death bug", this one will definitely be my last NE winter. Figuring on pulling the plug up here sometime between June and NLT November. More likely sooner than later...

The Russian GU50s have a similar basing and locating rib scheme to the EF40, but with a larger "octal" base. WHen I scored some of those, I snagged the hard to find sockets first, then the tubes later... More fodder for a yet to be started (or even concieved) project.... These are a copy of some WWII German transmitter tubes, The WWII Telefunken ones with the "nazi" logo might be collectors items, more so than a simple "double struck" 6V6 tube Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

I've probably asked this one before, isn't Maryville TN the start of Deal's Gap AKA "the dragon's tail" ? Someday I'll drive that just for the experience...

/ed B in the frozen (and disease infested) wastenalds of NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lth1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Ed, I would be glad with 35, it has been -2 to -10 for the last two weeks, actually just about the warmest spot in Alaska except for southeast which has weather closer to NW Washington. The one good that comes with the cold is the sky is clear and sunny. I am also getting ready to head south, the Seattle area, or near my children in Roanoke, VA. Need to be near where I can play alot of golf. The wife is divorcing me, couldn't take the stress and strain of my cancer any longer, waited around until I got well enough to take care of myself. No reason any more for living in the real frozen wasteland. But, just gorgeous in the summertime; would be nice to get back to a world where spring and fall last longer that two weeks.
lth1

Postby TerrySmith » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:29 pm

Yes, the dragon starts here, in fact if you take the dragon north into Tennessee and cross Hwy 411, you'll be on the street I live on.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:40 am

Last summer when I was down at my place in NC, one day I was over at the Wal-Mart in Murphy, and on the way out, I walked through a group of "sixty-something" Harley riders from Florida, one of them asked if I knew the way to Marysville.

I didn't know the way, but I went to my car and got the map book out , and we figured it out for them. I asked, and yes, they were indeed looking for "the dragon".

I had heard on the radio just an hour earlier, that the police were seriously cracking down on "speeders" on that stretch, since there had been a recent spate of inexperienced rider deaths and injuries. I passed on that heads-up to them. He replied "Hey, we're old f@rts, we don't speed any more" of course with the usual wink and a grin... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

There's a stretch of US 64 between Hayesville and Brevard, that goes through "Highlands" and it gets pretty twisty and turny, up and down mountainous, as well, the tractor-trailer truckers are supposed to stay off , and take "truck route 64", except for direct local deliveries, but too many of them "cheat" and take what they think is a shortcut...

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:46 am

I'd like to visit Alaska sometime, definitely in the summer... THough I hear the mosquitoes could compete with Amazonian Vampire Bats...

AS I remember Alaska Moose are a LOT bigger than NH and Maine Moose, as well.

My one short visit to Alaska was a stopover in Anchorage airport in April 1971, on the way to Sunny Southeast Asia , on tour with Uncle Sam Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 :o I still vividly remember the big stuffed polar bear in the display case, it was enormous... :o

If you're into golf and sunny weather, I'd choose Roanoake VA, the Seattle area is nice, but it tends to be coolish, cloudy and rainy a lot, OK for those who don't like hot sticky summer weather. I found it to be "gloomy" even dirung my few weeks at Fort Lewis, and the locals were commenting that it was the best stretch of recent weather...

I guess that one's attitudes and approaches to various climates really depends on where one lives, I knew someone who was stationed at McMurdo, over the winter streatch, in Antarctica, and they considered any day over 30 degrees and s8unny, as being "t-shirt and shorts" weather, and then most people in Florida probably think that water freezes solid at 60 degrees... I'll start donning the shorts, once it gets dependably above 50... That's still a LONG time to go around here... Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby lth1 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:48 am

Ed, I would not visit in the winter either, low in Alaska today was 72 below, thankful for very little wind. Fairbanks has extreme temperature swings, 60+ below in the winter and upper90's or low 100's in the summer. Glad I live in the Banna Belt, only -4 today.

Looks likes we have something in common, I also had a stopover in Anchorage but a year earlier, 1970. Returned in August 71 through Oakland. It was nice I got to see my parents during the stopover. The polar bear is still there, along with a larger brown bear.

Seattle is a consideration because of my commercial fishing interest, still fish for Halibut but retired from Salmon fishing in 1994. Plus my oldest daughter, who also has the commercial fishing bug, wants to move to that area and finish her education between Salmon seining in the summers.

The Roanoke, VA area so far has not impressed me.
lth1

Return to diy hifi