K.....now i want a preamp

the thermionic watercooler

K.....now i want a preamp

Postby nyazzip » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 am

now that i have a functioning DIYTube ST-35, i need a preamp. anyone know how to build a Dynaco PAS-3X Preamplifier clone....? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_20 ;) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_17 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11 :o Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16 :) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08
annoying, eh
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:25 am

Checkout the Aikido thread. Lots of good brainstorming in there.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby CpuZapper » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:16 pm

I had a Pas 3x, now a 3 as with the controls it does not perform well.
Stripped down and re-built with NOS Tungsram 12ax7 it now sounds good.
When people talk about a PAS sounding great it is usually the Curcio mods which is not a PAS at all.
You can get the full schematics from many sites for the PAS, dynaco doctor for one.

I hope to build a Aikido soon once I decide on a power supply so I have a second tube pre to compare it to. Then I can see for my self just how good the PAS is.
CpuZapper

Postby mesherm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:54 pm

I have a PAS-3x that i rebuilt from the ground up. New boards with same circuit, new PT, filter cap, voltage doubler, new selector switch,and Telefunken 12AX7s in the line board.
I yanked the old selector switch and tossed it and redid the back input panel to give the RIAA board its own separate input and put the correct caps on the board. Cleaned all the pots rewired the whole thing from the ground up. I would stack it up against any preamp now. I also have a factory wired PAS-3x that I installed an SDS power supply board and new line amp board (which the previous owner had removed). Even factory wired with an SDS board it has hum issues.
My point is that a PAS-3x properly wired and with quality parts can sound just as good as any vintage or modern preamp. This may not apply to the PAS-2,3s without the unobtainable pass-thru tone pots.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Or, consider VTA SP6 (http://www.tubes4hifi.com). It fits on the same PAS or PAT chassis.Many say it's a pretty good sounding preamp. One big advantage that the SP6 has over Aikido for me is that the SP6 has a phono stage. I am building one right now and I look forward to hearing it. It's taking me longer than it should as I am building my own chassis out of wood and alumimium. I also assumed that all PCB mount sockets were 9-pin when I was ordering parts. Apparently, the rectifier is 7-pin. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Return to diy hifi