Phono Stage Preamp Decisions, Input welcomed!!!

the thermionic watercooler

Postby hilldweller » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:01 pm

I am looking for a reasonably priced phono stage. I was considering this one, See link below. The Bellari vp129 @ $199.00. Does anyone out there have any experience with this one? I have read all good reviews.
http://www.rolls.com/new/vp129.html Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:38 am

I would buy something from Jim Hagerman. The guy knows his stuff, and I bet you'll actually get support and setup tips if needed, though I've never conversed with the gentleman. Looks like he has a support forum that I ddin't remember from before where he is answering questions. Sound engineering at Hagtech, I think. I'll probably buy one of his kits sometime in 2008 just so I can learn his secrets before I launch my own phono stage. :)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby hilldweller » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 pm

separks wrote:I would buy something from Jim Hagerman. The guy knows his stuff, and I bet you'll actually get support and setup tips if needed, though I've never conversed with the gentleman. Looks like he has a support forum that I ddin't remember from before where he is answering questions. Sound engineering at Hagtech, I think. I'll probably buy one of his kits sometime in 2008 just so I can learn his secrets before I launch my own phono stage. :)

Thanks Shannon, I was allready considering the Coronet 2, It looks like a good setup.
BTW, Your Poseidon Driver Boards are Great!!! I did some tube rolling and I found that the best combination for me was the New Issue Tung-Sol 12AX7 And The JJ ECC802S was the best combination for full range performance. I'm Lovin It!!! (No I Don't Work For McDonalds!!!) Have a great Christmas and New Year. I can't wait to get my Thorens TD 145 Hooked up to these MK-III's . I have about 500 Albums that I haven't enjoyed for quite some time.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby hilldweller » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 pm

separks wrote:I would buy something from Jim Hagerman. The guy knows his stuff, and I bet you'll actually get support and setup tips if needed, though I've never conversed with the gentleman. Looks like he has a support forum that I ddin't remember from before where he is answering questions. Sound engineering at Hagtech, I think. I'll probably buy one of his kits sometime in 2008 just so I can learn his secrets before I launch my own phono stage. :)

Thanks Shannon,
I wen't ahead and bought the Coronet2 half kit, "Board and Manual with chassis templates". Do you have one of these or are you planning to purchase and build one? If you have one I would like to know what you think. I have read all of the feedback on this design and all seems good. I've studied other designs and this one seems to have the issues covered. I can't wait to build it and hear.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:18 am

"Da da da da daaah, I'm lovin' it!" Another annoying jingle that can get in your head. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09

Yes, I'll probably also get the Cornet2. Not shabby specs at all:

Code: Select all
Gain   
+44dB
Input Impedance   
47k ohm
Output Impedance   
1k ohm
RIAA Response   
+/-1dB from 25Hz to 25kHz
Bandwidth   
15Hz to 30kHz
Distortion   
0.02% @1kHz
SNR   
72dB ref 5mV A-weighted
Overload   
250mV @1kHz
Phase   
Normal
Size   
7.25" x 11.65" (PCB)
Weight   
7 lbs
Power   
35W
Input Voltage   
100V, 110V, 120V, 200V, 220V, 240V
Tubes   
12AX7 (ECC83) x 2, 12AU7 (ECC82) x 1, 5Y3 x 1
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby wiredbecker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:19 am

I built the Hagerman Bugle last year effectively killing two birds with one stone by using it as a vehicle for learning to solder as well as getting a nice little inexpensive battery powered phono preamp out of the deal.

Highly recommended if you aren't fully fixed on an all tube system. Really good quality for price. I ran mine with one of Tom's Darling and it was very transparent in my system. And yes, Jim Hagerman's customer service is excellent.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd build the Bugle Pro because it integrates an AC power supply as well as various EQ settings. The Bugle's 9 volt batteries typically last about 17 hours or so--forget to turn the thing off and soon enough you're buying more 9 volts or better yet, getting rechargables.
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby SteveH » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:15 am

separks wrote:...bedfore I launch my own phono stage. :)

And the world skips a rotation ! How's about combining that with a nice 'old' triode pre ? Like a 76 tube or somethin...
SteveH
KT88

Postby wiredbecker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Seriously. I would totally dig building up a complete diytube kit.
wiredbecker
KT88

Return to diy hifi