Tube based preamp kits. How About These?

the thermionic watercooler

Tube based preamp kits. How About These?

Postby hilldweller » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:37 pm

I ran across this website while searching for a decent preamp at a realistic cost. Does anyone have any experience with these??? Your all's help is always appreciated!
http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/newhardware.html Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:30 am

That's John Broskie's store (of www.tubecad.com fame), the man's a genius. I'd buy it :)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:44 am

Hi,

I have an Aikido that I have not had time to build yet. It looks like a great kit. I've just been traveling too much to get it completed.

If you are going to use this as a phono preamp keep in mind that the basic circuit is not designed to include RIAA equalization. You'll have to modify it. That can be done. But if you're going to use is as a line stage, it's a great design. You'll need to construct a power supply too.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Incomplete kit

Postby jduffy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:30 am

The reason I didn't get the Aikido is that it's an incomplete kit.

I've been interested in building the Decware Zen Plate preamp which is a complete kit for around $300 or getting plans for the old Foreplay II from Bottlehead.

In a cost conscious move I wound up building Bruce Rozenblit's line preamp from a Glass Audio schematic. I was able to do it for under $100 and it sounds excellent.

And if you want a phono preamp look at the Hagerman kits. Great price and very good sound. There you buy a PCB and you source the parts.

Best o' luck finding want you want to build.
jduffy

Return to diy hifi